EMT as pre-med worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asykes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a full time pre-med student in my Junior year and I also work as an EMT on weekends. What I have been struggling with is that working as an EMT has consumed all of my available time on weekends, leaving me no time for research, volunteering, and other extra-curricular work that most pre-meds will have on their application.

So my question is: is it worth it? How valuable, if valuable at all, is having active EMT work on an application? And if it is valuable, is it worth sacrificing other extra-curricular work?

Any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't want to do it anymore don't do it. As long as your doing SOMETHING, then it is fine. Replacing EMT with research or other EC's is perfectly OK. They just don't want to see you doing nothing for extended periods of time.

EMT work is beneficial because it is considered clinical exposure. You have contact with patients on a regular basis.

If you don't want to do it anymore don't do it. As long as your doing SOMETHING, then it is fine. Replacing EMT with research or other EC's is perfectly OK. They just don't want to see you doing nothing for extended periods of time.

EMT work is beneficial because it is considered clinical exposure. You have contact with patients on a regular basis.

Don't get me wrong, I love being an EMT. I was just wondering if sacrificing the other activities is worth it, or if being an active EMT is more valuable than other things I could be doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need to volunteer if you are an EMT. Working as an EMT satisfies the "clinical experience" requirement for medical school.

Don't get me wrong, I love being an EMT. I was just wondering if sacrificing the other activities is worth it, or if being an active EMT is more valuable than other things I could be doing.

It is good to have a lot of time invested in a meaningful activity, and it is good clinical experience as an EMT.

However, it may be good to take on less shifts and fill in with some other activities. Being an EMT does satisfy clinical hours. However, there is a lot of benefit in volunteering in a hospital or clinic where you can interact with doctors and observe what they do on a day to day basis (maybe consider some shadowing). Research is not required but is very beneficial. So if you are interested (not just thinking it would look good), I would look into doing some research. And while non-clinical volunteering isn't necessary either, having passions and activities outside of medicine is a big plus and something that adcoms focus on (especially in interviews).

If you have the numbers, doing mostly EMT stuff should be okay. But, it may be a good idea to branch out a bit. Both because it may look good on your app. More importantly, this is your time to pursue other interests beyond medicine. That ends in med school. And any activities outside of medicine will improve your app as long as you maintain some clinical activities as well (but you only need a few hours a week of that).

What are the other things you're doing? Odds are good that some of them are extraneous at this point.

I think being an EMT was a pretty good thing for me to do in college.

What are the other things you're doing? Odds are good that some of them are extraneous at this point.

At this point, I am essentially not doing anything else. Just school doing workdays and EMT on weekends. I do plan on doing shadowing soon, though.

You don't need to volunteer if you are an EMT. Working as an EMT satisfies the "clinical experience" requirement for medical school.

I respectfully disagree. You would almost certainly need shadowing, or at least experience in a setting where there are doctors present. I agree that pre-hospital EMS would count towards clinical experience but it should not be one's only experience.

I respectfully disagree. You would almost certainly need shadowing, or at least experience in a setting where there are doctors present. I agree that pre-hospital EMS would count towards clinical experience but it should not be one's only experience.

What if I volunteer in a free clinic as well and I shadow the FM docs there?

Depends on your alternative options and whether you think you would actually enjoy being an EMT.

Being an EMT serves to cover your clinical hours... something that you can get if you stopped working now and started working again over the summer. The best part about being an EMT is the clinical stories should be abundant and telling these stories during an interview can really highlight your internal desire to work with patients.

If you think you can share valuable insight about the clinical experience AND you can get the clinical hours in the summer, then you should take this opportunity to broader your experience with other extracurriculars

I agree what other people are saying, but I'd like to point out something. I don't know where you're from/where you're planning on applying, but University of Cincinnati just changed their curriculum to include an EMT course for MS-1's first weeks of school. You'll certainly have a leg up if you end up there.

And if a school like Cincy values EMT training enough to incorporate it into their curriculum, you can bet other schools will also consider it legitimate, useful clinical work. :thumbup:

I went to medic school, and it helps me to this day in the ER. I say go for it! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

I'd disagree.. I've been told more than once that being in the hospital (physically) is also important to some degree. I mean, EMS is very different from hospital protocol.

I killed two birds with one stone so to say. I volunteered as an EMT on an ALS ambulance. Not only do you get clinical experience, but you also get the volunteer aspect as well.

Both of my interviewers told me it was a really good strategy and impressive to see.

@TBoard

Did you apply this cycle? It seems like everyone and their momma is becoming an EMT just so they can volunteer/get a job as one now a days

I agree. I spoke with AdComm member during an interview, and she told me she is ALWAYS impressed when an applicant is an ER/Ortho Tech, clinical intern working with hospital staff, or ER scribe.

She was "eh" to EMT or shadowing; EMT b/c lack of exposure to hospital medicine/physicians or rotations through hospital, and shadowing b/c lack of active role, more passive learning.

ER Tech was up there as was scribing. Won't lie, it's probably why scribing is so popular in Cali...

Again, it was only one senior adcom member, and everyone is different. EMS work is great, as is shadowing, just sharing an experience.

Different strokes. I wouldn't be impressed with someone being a scribe. I'd put it on par with shadowing. Being an EMT requires some clinical judgment.

Volunteering isn't just for getting clinical experience, it's to show the adcomm that you are committed to helping your community. That's why volunteering with anything is looked upon favorably, although medical volunteering gets the cake.

Volunteering isn't just for getting clinical experience, it's to show the adcomm that you are committed to helping your community. That's why volunteering with anything is looked upon favorably, although medical volunteering gets the cake.

That, and volunteering as an EMT is just really really fun.

@TBoard

Did you apply this cycle? It seems like everyone and their momma is becoming an EMT just so they can volunteer/get a job as one now a days

Yes, I applied this cycle. I decided to pursue medicine because of my work as an EMT. I wanted the next level.

depends on the level of involvement. if you've been working for a long time as an EMT, with some level of autonomy (ie not just driving the bus between nursing homes) then you've had sufficient interaction with docs to say you have that covered. OP's commitment level may rise to that level, tough to say without more detail.

I killed two birds with one stone so to say. I volunteered as an EMT on an ALS ambulance. Not only do you get clinical experience, but you also get the volunteer aspect as well.

Both of my interviewers told me it was a really good strategy and impressive to see.

this is truth.

don't get too unbalanced. adcoms will respect your commitment but you still may go to the back of the line if you haven't got all your boxes ticked. they will ask, "ok, why doesn't this person just go for an EMS career if s/he likes it that much?" cut back on the shifts and broaden your ECs a little.