EMT-B Certification test advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snwbrdr18

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice concerning what i should focus on while studying for the test? thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any advice concerning what i should focus on while studying for the test? thanks in advance

It's not a difficult exam, and as long as you pass, your score won't help or hurt you. I'd focus on whatever your instructor emphasized. Know the basics, and try to envision yourself as an EMT in various situations. If you know the basics and are logical, you'll do fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice would be to slow down and make sure you understand the question before you go to the answers.

Questions on the National Registry test are often set up in such a way that 2 or 3 answers are things you would do, but they'll ask "What is the FIRST thing you should do?"

If you read your book, you'll do fine. 70% is as good as 100% as far as the registry is concerned.

My advice would be to slow down and make sure you understand the question before you go to the answers.

Questions on the National Registry test are often set up in such a way that 2 or 3 answers are things you would do, but they'll ask "What is the FIRST thing you should do?"

If you read your book, you'll do fine. 70% is as good as 100% as far as the registry is concerned.

When I took the NREMT-B exam a million years ago. I noticed this as well. If "airway" is an answer choice, its probably the correct one... even if its already been assessed in the question stem, airway is probably still the answer.

I also had a bunch of questions on crime-scene and suspected child abuse.

Many of the questions when I took it were based off a scenario. If your lecture was anything like mine you should be ok. We did A LOT of scenarios. I personally thought my class was harder than the exam. If you stick to ABCs you should do fine in your :sleep:

I took the exam last week and passed!

Get your hands on the American Heart Association's BLS book.

Read it and memorize it. I'd say roughly 1/3 of the questions on the NREMT-B exam came directly from this booklet. Its roughly 80 pages with a lot of diagrams. Easy to memorize the material, and know it well, in about 2 hours time. This will help you more than anything else as there are a lot of questions about choking, CPR, and the AED for adult, child, and infants.

I also came across a lot of seizure and shock. So I'd recommend knowing those chapters in your textbook thoroughly.

Ok man first off let me say congrats on starting your transition into the wonderful world of ems. The Emt-B exam is straightforward yet very challenging for others. It is really hard to tell you what to study because the exam changes every time. When I took it there was a very heavy emphasis on pt assessment but when my brother took it their was a heavy emphasis on the diagnosis and treatment of pediatric patients. I will however tell you to know all your breathing rates by heart as well as normal b/p and pulse rates. Make sure you know your procedures for CPR and aed back and front such as what to do in certain situations. Study very hard on trauma both assessment and treatment, I would also go over burns and treatment but just a light skim would be fine. don't worry about medications theres not alot to remember about that. The most important idea to get in your head is always choose the safest answer. We all know the exam and real world lives in 2 different places, I have been in ems since highschool and am now a medic/firefighter and i can tell you most calls wont ever be by the book a good emt can adapt and overcome any situation. Study hard and good luck as well I hope you move up the Ems chain.