EMT Certification and being a Med Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my NREMT-B expires in 2009 and I (hopefully) start medical school in Fall '09.

I plan to recertify via the new testing option, but I had a few questions I was hoping to get an answer for here.

First, any suggestions on good review material? I was thinking of just going through my old textbook, but that seems low yield.

Second, I haven't been as active as an EMT as I'd like, so when I recertify I was informed I would be placed as an "inactive member". Does this have any actual impact on working/volunteering as an EMT?

Third, will Medical School and Residency pretty much cover me on CE and such for the next decade or so?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So my NREMT-B expires in 2009 and I (hopefully) start medical school in Fall '09.

I plan to recertify via the new testing option, but I had a few questions I was hoping to get an answer for here.

First, any suggestions on good review material? I was thinking of just going through my old textbook, but that seems low yield.

Second, I haven't been as active as an EMT as I'd like, so when I recertify I was informed I would be placed as an "inactive member". Does this have any actual impact on working/volunteering as an EMT?

Third, will Medical School and Residency pretty much cover me on CE and such for the next decade or so?

Thanks.

Ya when you are inactive your cant work or volunteer as an EMT until you get it reactivated...

I'm not sure about national registry EMT, but I would give them a call and ask about con-ed requirements. In my state, medical school counts for all the con-ed, but they still require that you take a refresher.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm confused about the inactive/active thing then (or using the wrong term). My understanding was that inactive meant you were certified, but not currently using your skills. If you can't work/volunteer as an EMT, how could you ever start using your skills and move to active?

Well I'm confused about the inactive/active thing then (or using the wrong term). My understanding was that inactive meant you were certified, but not currently using your skills. If you can't work/volunteer as an EMT, how could you ever start using your skills and move to active?

Well, who is saying that you'll be "inactive" after recert; your home agency, the state, NREMT? If I recall correctly, depending on your state, you may enter a sort of grace period after your cert expires, in which you just have to complete a certain number of CE hours, and retake the test to recertify, versus retake the entire course. Since your cert has not actually expired yet, you should just have to complete whatever your state's standard recertification process is.

If you actually recertify through your state, you should not be on any form of "inactive" status, as you have a nice, shiny new card in your hand. Your home agency, on the other hand, may have some form of inactive status that they put you on when you stopped running calls, and you'd have to take it up with them to find out how to get off of it. So...more information is needed for us to help you out.

Well, who is saying that you'll be "inactive" after recert; your home agency, the state, NREMT? If I recall correctly, depending on your state, you may enter a sort of grace period after your cert expires, in which you just have to complete a certain number of CE hours, and retake the test to recertify, versus retake the entire course. Since your cert has not actually expired yet, you should just have to complete whatever your state's standard recertification process is.

If you actually recertify through your state, you should not be on any form of "inactive" status, as you have a nice, shiny new card in your hand. Your home agency, on the other hand, may have some form of inactive status that they put you on when you stopped running calls, and you'd have to take it up with them to find out how to get off of it. So...more information is needed for us to help you out.

NREMT is saying I'll be an inactive member. I may have gotten the term wrong , but it was essentially inactive. My state certification is actually good for a few years still. I just want to keep the NREMT-B active because it makes it easy to recertify in my state and get certified in other states...

NREMT says if you are not currently employed them you "should" move your cert to inactive status which means you are certified but not currently working.. In inactive status you may not work as an EMT until you reactivate your card... I know for FL when you are inactive they allow your CEU's not to be done until you want to reactivate...