emt program in georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cypher828

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know of a fast, relatively cheap place to get emt-b certification around atlanta? Id like to get it done asap. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

cypher828 said:
Anybody know of a fast, relatively cheap place to get emt-b certification around atlanta? Id like to get it done asap. Thanks in advance.

I don't think a quick EMT program exists in Atlanta, or anywhere in Georgia. What the state of Georgia recognizes as an EMT-b is actually what is elsewhere recognized as an EMT-intermediate. After you complete your GA EMT-b certification exam, you automatically become a nationally registered EMT-I. I took an EMT course in Georgia (in Atlanta) in 1996 and it was 330+ hours. That's what the state requires. I let my certification expire, though,and a couple of years ago started to see how I could get it back. Since it had been expired more than 6 months, I would have to retake the whole class. I looked in to places to do this, since I know some states do have shorter summer programs. I found no such programs. The quickest one was one out of Rockdale county (found it on the web) - but even that was a bit lengthy. All others were offered through schools (ie Lanier tech, Medix School, Emory if you're student/staff/alum) and therefore followed a school calendar (ie lasted 2 semesters because they break for all school vacations). At least this was the case a few years ago. You may want to call Grady EMS headquarters, DeKalb EMS headquarters or another county's EMS to see if they have any suggestions. Just some info from my own experience...sorry it's not more helpful.

cypher828 said:

Emory has one. Im not sure if it is only for emory students though

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. Im not an emory student, so thats out. The medix school is the fastest ive found so far, but it costs $4500. If i went to tech college, i still wouldnt be an emt by this time next year... Not looking so good.

Im wondering if it would be better to go out of state to get it done quickly, if the certification is standardized and it would transfer. Or maybe there is a better way to get your foot in the door and get some clinical experience other than emt in GA?

cypher828 said:
Thanks for the info. Im not an emory student, so thats out. The medix school is the fastest ive found so far, but it costs $4500. If i went to tech college, i still wouldnt be an emt by this time next year... Not looking so good.

Im wondering if it would be better to go out of state to get it done quickly, if the certification is standardized and it would transfer. Or maybe there is a better way to get your foot in the door and get some clinical experience other than emt in GA?

Dude, why do you want you EMT-B in the first place, do you want to actually use it or just put it on your AMCAS application? If it’s only for an AMCAS application don’t waste your time, an ad-com will see through the EMT-B applicant who never uses the license. I am not talking out of my ass here I am an EMT-B and work with a 911 service. During my interviews there was a lot of discussion about those Basics who actually use their skills and those who use it as another badge for their application.

who would just get their EMT-B without any intent of working as one??

Yes, if I get certified I definitely want to use it... I have a year off now to do whatever as I apply and im kind of questioning what i want to do. I’ve volunteered in hospitals and all that but I don’t feel like it’s given me as much exposure as I could get as an EMT. If I could get the experience im looking for without going through the cert process i would.

cypher828 said:
Yes, if I get certified I definitely want to use it... I have a year off now to do whatever as I apply and im kind of questioning what i want to do. I’ve volunteered in hospitals and all that but I don’t feel like it’s given me as much exposure as I could get as an EMT. If I could get the experience im looking for without going through the cert process i would.

You're really focusing on getting certified wayyy too quickly. Becoming an EMT and actually working as one is a huge responsibility, and should not be taken lightly. Just settle down and get certified in the normal time period because it's a lot of info. It sounds like you want to just get certified to have in on paper for the adcoms.

thanks bub

TheProwler said:
who would just get their EMT-B without any intent of working as one??

Like the other posters said - to pad their resume or med school / pa school application, thinking it gives them the appearance of having more experience than they really do.

I definitely agree with what other people have said about doing the normal certification stuff. I am currently taking the class at Emory in addition to a normal academic load, and while the material itself is not that difficult, there is a huge time commitment. Not only do you have the normal class time to become an EMT, but you have to do clinicals (ride-alongs and shadowing). I have really enjoyed the class and all the experiences, but really only go through the class if you will be dedicated. If you can be dedicated, it is definitely worth it because it is amazing to have the ability to impact a patient's life whether it be on the ambulance or in the ER. Good luck! :)

cypher828 said:

As of 2002 Georgia has EMT-B that are trained for 110 hrs in free standing and 220 (first 2 quarters of EMT-I program EMS 120& 122) in Technical Colleges (DTAE).They were allow on transport units in 2003 .The EMT-I is 3 quarters in Technical Colleges ,all levels have to past NREMT before GA will issue a state license . State licensure (as of 3-17 new rules change certification to licensure for all levels ) is needed for personnel to be able to work for any ems services in state Check www.health.state.ga.us/programs/ems.asp for info

Tigger27 said:
I don't think a quick EMT program exists in Atlanta, or anywhere in Georgia. What the state of Georgia recognizes as an EMT-b is actually what is elsewhere recognized as an EMT-intermediate. After you complete your GA EMT-b certification exam, you automatically become a nationally registered EMT-I. I took an EMT course in Georgia (in Atlanta) in 1996 and it was 330+ hours. That's what the state requires. I let my certification expire, though,and a couple of years ago started to see how I could get it back. Since it had been expired more than 6 months, I would have to retake the whole class. I looked in to places to do this, since I know some states do have shorter summer programs. I found no such programs. The quickest one was one out of Rockdale county (found it on the web) - but even that was a bit lengthy. All others were offered through schools (ie Lanier tech, Medix School, Emory if you're student/staff/alum) and therefore followed a school calendar (ie lasted 2 semesters because they break for all school vacations). At least this was the case a few years ago. You may want to call Grady EMS headquarters, DeKalb EMS headquarters or another county's EMS to see if they have any suggestions. Just some info from my own experience...sorry it's not more helpful.
The state now recognizes NREMT-B in addition to NREMT-I. I'm not sure if there are EMT-B classes available yet. Most of the EMT-B certification level is aimed at non-transport first responders (i.e., firefighter first responders). However, I think the state approved EMT-B's to staff ambulances, which is something I am against.

(In case you are wondering, yes I'm living in CT, but I'm from GA and still maintain my GA EMT-P certification.)

hi guys,
im a freshman, and im thinking about training as an emt this summer at home (ny) so i can work during the year as a volunteer. if i take an emt-b class at a community in new york and get certified, can i use it in illinois? where do i find such information?
thanks

Ruchi925 said:
hi guys,
im a freshman, and im thinking about training as an emt this summer at home (ny) so i can work during the year as a volunteer. if i take an emt-b class at a community in new york and get certified, can i use it in illinois? where do i find such information?
thanks

Oh!!! I see the question hanging here since April, Can anyone help Ruchi about this? Ny DC or IL??

You can check out Georgia Institute of EMS. The offer an online program that is very flexable. You will have to attend labs but they schedule them around almost any schedule.

The stie is www.georgiaemt.com