EMT state licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkilla

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am enrolling in an EMT class this semester and am interested in working as an EMT at a summer camp in a different state. I am wondering how hard/possible would it be for me to obtain a state license in another state?

Members don't see this ad.

Which state would you be licensed in, and which state is the camp in? Most states utilize the National Registry for EMS licensure, so if both states use it is just a matter of paying a fee.

Most states have some sort of reciprocity program and the requirements vary by state. The easiest way is if you're NREMT certified. Most states will let you apply for licensing with that. If you only have state certification, then there are other ways to get reciprocity, like showing that you have had experience working as an EMT in the original state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shouldn't require much work. Might cost you like ~100 bucks though depending on the state.

Can actually be a huge problem depending on the state you’re going to. Can’t be much help without specifics here

Can actually be a huge problem depending on the state you’re going to. Can’t be much help without specifics here

For example: Michigan and Ohio border each other but to go from Michigan --> Ohio you have to take an additional airway course.