EMT to Boost Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is becoming a certified EMT to improve my application a bad idea? I have no desire to work as an EMT. I'm a reapplicant and want to submit my primary on the first possible day and need another EC. I haven't been able to get a volunteer position and need something immediately.

Members don't see this ad.

Is becoming a certified EMT to improve my application a bad idea? I have no desire to work as an EMT. I'm a reapplicant and want to submit my primary on the first possible day and need another EC. I haven't been able to get a volunteer position and need something immediately.
It's a terrible idea. Don't do it. You should really consider finding something that you LIKE doing.

I'd like to volunteer at somewhere either medical or nonmedical where I would have interpersonal contact with patients or others in need, but I also really want something immediately.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to volunteer at somewhere either medical or nonmedical where I would have interpersonal contact with patients or others in need, but I also really want something immediately.

You wouldn't become an EMT immediately. =)

Going through the certification process without actually performing as an EMT isn't much of a booster. It's likely to be the type of ploy that is easily seen through. You could expect to be asked why, if you listed certification, you never put it to use.

A friend just started training - $800+, classes 8 hrs/wk from last week through September. For that amount of time and money, there are more effective ways to boost your application, perhaps by doing something that really does interest you.

And if the adcoms want to hear an interesting story from your day-to-day life as an EMT, what are you going to say?

What if you get certified and continue to just do ride time on the ambulance. They let you take vitals and do basically anything a paid EMT-B does. Plus you can get to stay around in the ER and watch other stuff inbetween calls when things aren't that busy.

I know hospitals in certain urban areas allow EMT-Bs to work as techs in the ER. You might want to look into that because I imagine it would be seen as more/better clinical experience than working on an ambulance.

Damn, this is why pre-med apps are always looked at so suspiciously. "I have no desire to do it but will it boost my app?" Gimme a break.

please dont do it if you have no desire...there are better and easier ways to get clinical experience than becoming an emt.

Besides EMT premeds are a dime a dozen.

And largely insufferable the first month of med school.
I only think I've mentioned it in a group like twice, and the only time it actually helped in med school was knowing how to check a BP. Now there's another one in our class who likes to frequently mention his/her ECs :rolleyes:

What if you get certified and continue to just do ride time on the ambulance.
You might find it hard to do long term shadowing for an ambulance company. Once or twice is good PR and they're happy to do it for the mandatory hours you need as you're getting your EMT, but once a week or something would be a stretch.
They let you take vitals and do basically anything a paid EMT-B does.
Riding on an ambulance, you will not get to do "anything a paid EMT-B does". They'll let you take vitals, but $hit, you can do that at home on your mom and sister, if you want.

Anything clinically relevant or life threatening that comes up, the stuff that makes all the drudgery of working as an EMT relevant, you will be a non-person.

If you're going to shadow, shadow a doctor, not an EMT.