EMT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busygyal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
EMT class, Biochem, phys 1 w/lab, two psych classes and a creative writing class. (17 credits)

My EMT class ends in November and is twice a week. I start back at college in September. Would this be too much to handle with my college workload? I believe that if I am not able to manage these classes, then I'm no where near ready for med school. But I could be overthinking it.

Also, any advice for time management?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

It all depends on what type of student you are and where your strengths and weaknesses lie, however it sounds like to me that you should do alright. I personally thought physics wasn't a bad class, and biochemistry is actually very interesting. I would say your hardest thing would be that EMT class because I also took EMT classes over the summer, and that can be tough as there is so many random details that can trip you up if you don't spend enough time on it. But the two psych classes and creative writing should help you out as those types of classes generally don't require a lot of studying effort. They probably would just have a bit of busy work associated with it, but no major studying involved. I think if you make sure to manage time wisely, and make sure to focus on the three science heavy courses you are taking, you should be alright.

Also, for time management I don't know what your college situation is, but if you live on campus or nearby then that makes life a lot easier. I generally like to spread my classes out throughout the day, so I have a few hours of break time in between classes. This personally helps me because it sort of forces me to study during my downtime since I am at the school already. And I am a very lazy person so I usually don't go back and forth from my apartment. I study literally all day until all my classes are done, then I go home and relax. Or if I have a test or something coming up, in those cases I will stay a little later say around midnight/1 not too too late and then just go home and sleep after. Living close to your school helps, atleast for me bc it allows me to do that. I found this method tends to work better, for me atleast, rather than pulling all nighters.

Hope it helps, good luck

Reactions: 1 user
The hard part about gaining clinical exposure is the training. Most people train in the summer. Taking 17 credits and an EMT class is doable but require a lot of discipline and a lot of time management. Don't dig a hole for yourself, if you're asking us if its too much, then most likely its too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
EMT class, Biochem, phys 1 w/lab, two psych classes and a creative writing class. (17 credits)

My EMT class ends in November and is twice a week. I start back at college in September. Would this be too much to handle with my college workload? I believe that if I am not able to manage these classes, then I'm no where near ready for med school. But I could be overthinking it.

Also, any advice for time management?
Only you can answer this, but you are correct in stating that if you can't handle it, you won't be able to handle med school.

Build your schedule on an online schedule builder. Put in every class, EC commitments, study time, etc. Then take a step back and see if it's doable. If it looks like you'll be miserable, then get rid of something.

You're not rewarded for taking on a heavy workload. You're rewarded if you take on a heavy workload and miraculously succeed in doing so.

My EMT class was incredibly easy, I'd say if you can pass a college bio class you'd be more than fine. The hardest part is the time commitment, as you have to attend all the classes and some extra full days of practical work.

I wouldn't say it's a problem but I would consider where you're planning to work after the class... as it's commonly said, an EMT license without practicing is worthless