Emt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComicBookDude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really like to be an EMT and work as a paramedic to gain exposure to the medical field, but am wondering if it's worth it. I am a second semester freshman, and realize that it could take time to get the CPR certificate, take the course over the summer, get observation expierence etc, so the soonest i would be out is the summer after my sophomore (please correct me if im misunderstanding the process), and finding a job near the campus. Any thoughts? Should I try the research route instead?

Members don't see this ad.

ComicBookDude said:
I would really like to be an EMT and work as a paramedic to gain exposure to the medical field, but am wondering if it's worth it. I am a second semester freshman, and realize that it could take time to get the CPR certificate, take the course over the summer, get observation expierence etc, so the soonest i would be out is the summer after my sophomore (please correct me if im misunderstanding the process), and finding a job near the campus. Any thoughts? Should I try the research route instead?

Actually depending on the EMT certification you are trying to get, it wont take as long as you think.

Getting your basic emt certification will only take one summer, or 1 semester. A basic EMT from what I understand, often is the driver of an ambulance and kind of assists a paramedic, a lot of the times you'll end up doing "boring" things like taking senior patients to doctor appointments from nursing homes and vice versa. Of course, you will get a traffic accident, heart attack and all that from time to time as well.

I have found a few places in my state (alabama) where you can get it done in a little over two months. So if you just want some exposure and not a career out of EMT google your state's name plus EMS and then check out some of the sites that come up. There will probably be a ton of different places that offer courses, and you can take it over this summer break. Then you can get a job as a basic emt during your sophomore year.

I suggest you do this, before getting your paramedic certification because, like anything else you don't know if you will like it or not, and if your intention is to go to medical school, it would be somewhat of a waste of time to go through all the training in paramedic school to only be able to use it for 1-2 years then go to medical school. So if you want to get some experience try out basic emt, and see how that treats you.

I took an EMT course during my second semester as a freshman. It required about 10 hours of class/training a week for 3 1/2 months. I got a job at a local arena and volunteered at my school's EMS program and still was able to do research as a sophmore and junior. If you're interested in it, I say go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Being an EMT is great experience. I'm sure you can finish your EMT requirements in one summer. I was able to in Texas. If you go to school in a different state, make sure that the state will recognize the EMT certification or else you'll have to take some more classes. Also, I think it's pretty hard to find a job working as an EMT (its a full time job at a hospital or fire station) and going to school. It might be easier if you use your EMT certification so you can volunteer as a on-campus emergency medical unit. We had one at Hopkins and people with EMT certifications were let in as long as they could pass the practical.

scotte8 said:
I took an EMT course during my second semester as a freshman. It required about 10 hours of class/training a week for 3 1/2 months. I got a job at a local arena and volunteered at my school's EMS program and still was able to do research as a sophmore and junior. If you're interested in it, I say go for it!

The school I attend does not offer it, so I'd have to do it over the summer. But I would love to do EMT-B work, even if its boring at times, it seems like a different perspective than basic volunteering.

TheProwler,

If you could come out and put in your two cents on this, it would be appreciated. Same goes for other EMT's on here!!!!!!!

My two cents....

Note that an EMT-B and a paramedic are not synonymous. EMT's often only take 10-12 weeks to gain certification. On the other hand, paramedic programs are 2 years long.

I'd get the EMT-B or do another 10 week course to be patient care technician or phlebotomist. That sort of stuff gives a lot of medical exposure.

ComicBookDude said:
The school I attend does not offer it, so I'd have to do it over the summer. But I would love to do EMT-B work, even if its boring at times, it seems like a different perspective than basic volunteering.

Also, in my state there is an emt/paramedic shortage and from my understanding ( I am not yet an emt) ambulance companies are offering part time jobs to people as well as full time. Plus I am sure your local fire station would love to have you volunteer. Also having an EMT-b certification would greatly improve your chances of getting a job in an ER as an ER tech. So I think only good can come from this experience.

gujuDoc said:
Note that an EMT-B and a paramedic are not synonymous. EMT's often only take 10-12 weeks to gain certification. On the other hand, paramedic programs are 2 years long.

Yup, I think the order is:

First Responder-Bottom of the totem pole
EMT-Basic- You can take a pulse but you can't do cool stuff like give morphine...
EMT-Intermediate- A dying breed I believe, people either go for EMT-B or all the way with Paramedic
EMT-P- Highest level of medical care outside of a hospital, they do all of the cool stuff, like give morphine....

Yea, I'd say go with get an EMT-B and then try to see if you can volunteer at a clinic. You'll stand out from the other applicants (we had sooo many apply to volunteer) with your experience.

Good luck.

DoctorPardi said:
Also, in my state there is an emt/paramedic shortage and from my understanding ( I am not yet an emt) ambulance companies are offering part time jobs to people as well as full time. Plus I am sure your local fire station would love to have you volunteer. Also having an EMT-b certification would greatly improve your chances of getting a job in an ER as an ER tech. So I think only good can come from this experience.

Thats what I was hoping. I just signed up to get a CPR certificate ($5) in Feb, so that I can take the course over the summer, assuming I'm still interested.

Mizuno is correct about the heirarchy. I actually started as a first responder more than 20 years ago. Went for my EMTB while on a volunteer fire department (which also trained me through FFII status, arson investigation, incident command, wildfire training, etc...). Then went for paramedic two years after that. I've been a medic for 13 years now and I've loved every minute of it. (ok, except for some calls - those of you who have been around the streets for a while know what I'm talkin' about - and you don't talk about those). I have had the pleasure/pain/terror of doing every procedure allowed under my advisors, including some that are 'not advised under normal circumstances'. The paramedic experience has been invaluable.

However, most of those really awesome/terrifying calls are paramedic-attend only, and as a basic you're going to be driving (unless you work on a basic service where the basic is the highest level of certification there is). If you go for the EMTB, find yourself a partner that will teach you LOTS. You don't really have the time to go for the paramedic and use it well, but a good partner can teach you tons. Unfortunately a crappy partner can also hold you back and you don't do or see anything. As an EMTB you can also probably audit an ACLS, AMLS and PALS class, and learn some preliminary pharm. Take an EKG class and PHTLS too. These can teach you a bunch of stuff that will be helpful later on.

I'm starting med school in the fall, but I would imagine my previous experience will make clinical rotations a bit easier: I'm used to talking to patients. I have a basic history down pat and can tweak from there. I've done certain procedures more than I can count (IVs, tubes, some IOs, 5 crics even) and I'm also used to making decisions and defending them. I'm not afraid to jump in with both feet and I'm used to touching patients. These will all be positives in years 3 and 4 (I hope). But dang, it also really hits home about how much I have to learn and how really ignorant I am at this point.

If you're going to use your EMTB, then go for it. If you're just going to look at the pretty piece of paper on the wall, don't bother. Good luck. The EMTB class isn't very hard at all. Have fun.

How hard is it to find part time jobs or jobs on campus? What about summer only jobs? Im worried that after completing the course, I will have trouble finding a job because of being a student.

If you think you might be interested in becoming an EMT I definitely think you shoud go for it. It is a very unique, well-respected job for a college student to have. There are accelerated courses out there too, I did mine at UCLA in 15 days...although it was 10 hours a day and kind of intense (not really for the pre-medders, but most of the pre-fire people there were pretty challenged by all the tests and info). I'm definitely glad I did it accelerated, I think it might have been kind of boring spread out over 3+ months.

I would not suggest going for Paramedic before med school. It will take at least 6 months (classes and clinical), and I know at UCLA you also have to complete 20 unpaid 24 hour shifts before you are officially a medic. It's just not really the type of thing you can do part-time. (If you do the EMT thing, you would find this out anyway)

As far as shifts go...It depends on where you live (state, city or suburbs, etc.) because this will generally dictate the number of ambulance companies and shifts available, etc. You can always try calling ambulance companies to see what types of shifts they have. Most companies I know are always looking for help and have almost suspiciously friendly people answering the phones...so don't be afraid to ask. A lot of companies are student-friendly nowdays too. In LA some companies have ambulances with an EMT and a medic, others have 2 EMT's or 2 medics, so the kinds of calls you go on and the responsibilities you'll have depend on the company you decide to work for. AMR = 911 calls. Most mom & pop companies run IFT's (interfacility transfers...ie: taking Mrs. Jones to dialysis) because that's where all the money is. Anyway....my point is that it's pretty easy to find a job, (the joke around here is that all you need is your cert card and a pulse) so make sure you know about the company first in case you have your heart set on 911.

ComicBookDude said:
How hard is it to find part time jobs or jobs on campus? What about summer only jobs? Im worried that after completing the course, I will have trouble finding a job because of being a student.

I don't know about finding employment on campus. You should be able to find some kind of job utilizing the training without much difficulty. There are plenty of working EMTs who are also enrolled in school.
If time constraints are an issue, WMI offers an EMT-B course with additional wilderness training all condensed into an intensive three week course. It's aimed at the ski patrol/ backcountry guide types because of the additional wilderness component, but you participate in the same curriculum and take the same test for NREMT certification as students anywhere else.

Members don't see this ad :)
GoJoeyMojo said:
I don't know about finding employment on campus. You should be able to find some kind of job utilizing the training without much difficulty. There are plenty of working EMTs who are also enrolled in school.
If time constraints are an issue, WMI offers an EMT-B course with additional wilderness training all condensed into an intensive three week course. It's aimed at the ski patrol/ backcountry guide types because of the additional wilderness component, but you participate in the same curriculum and take the same test for NREMT certification as students anywhere else.

I took half of a wilderness first responder course in high-school and regret that I did not finish it. After becoming an EMT I now realize how dependent we are on our ambulances (duh) and I totally value the Mcguyver-like abilities of the first responder..I wish I had those skillz :thumbup: Ski-patrol is a little different, but, yeah...

EDIT: One last word of advice: If you do decide to get training make sure you do it through a good program. There were several people in my class who had already taken an EMT coursse somewhere else and failed miserably on the national registry. The pass rate for that test, by the way, is about 40% nationally. I know my program is about 85%, so where you are trained does make a difference if you get to choose.

going to add my two cents here. :thumbup:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

i worked for the collegiate ambulance service at penn state university for about two and a half years. during that same time period, i also worked for the largest local county-based service around. there are huge difference between the two!

joe schmoe emt, out of college, will likely be working for a "standard" ambulance service or transport company. some college students, on the other hand, have the unique opportunity of working for a collegiate based service if their college or university offers such a squad. what's the difference, you ask?

for starters, you'll work with crews and partners that are more or less your own age, and who all share many similar interests. definitely not so for "standard" community services.. i've worked with partners who were 30 or 40 years older than me (more on this below.) i made a ton of new friends working for my collegiate service, and campus ems represented some of the most important experiences of my college career.

now, don't get me wrong.. community services are important. first off, you can learn a lot from the ems "old timers".. but more than that, you'll probably be exposed to a greater variety of emergency calls. campus based services, dealing with a college population, usually find themselves primarily handling orthapedic injuries and alcohol overdoses (although you might occasionally go on coverage calls for other services.) but this limitation isn't so bad, as you still will see pretty intense calls from time to time (suicides, sexual assaults, etc.) and i think the immense value of the campus ems social circle outweighs this minor limitation.

all in all, i'd highly recommend working for both if you have the opportunity.. if i had to choose one, i'd choose a campus service every time, because you really won't (with rare exceptions) have that opportunity once you graduate.

for more on campus ems (public service announcement!) visit the ncemsf.

ComicBookDude said:
Thats what I was hoping. I just signed up to get a CPR certificate ($5) in Feb, so that I can take the course over the summer, assuming I'm still interested.

I know that in my course the CPR training and certification was mandatory even if you were already certified, so you might not want to take the CPR seperately. My schools class is almost year long... we do about 20-40 hours extra and move reeaallly slowly. And ditto on the campus emt, you get some good exposure and are an extremely helpful service.

Campus EMS tends to not be a very good exposure to health care because of the limited extent of the patient population and low call volumes. Just my 2 cents....

ComicBookDude said:

EMT and paramedic are very different. Medics are more of a vocational career thing whereas EMTs tend to pop up all over the place like as MAs, etc. I would recommend doing it just to get the experience. Chances are, you won't see much, but hopefully you get to do something 'moving' etc. I personally am most turned on by premeds who have created something as in established a program or something at their school. EMTs are kind of generic, but it's what you do with it instead of just having it. Get it not just to get it, but because you wnat to. And if you think about getting a medic certification, then that's more of an investment, about a year or more. And it's kind of goofy to do all that and then apply to medical school, in my opinion. Do other things - show that you're genuine and helpful in many regards - and then apply. What else can I tell you? I was a EMT in a metropolitan area, and saw a lot - a lot, a lot. Didn't really like it; felt unchallenged; couldn't do much. Overwhelmed when we had cases overf our head and all we could do was scream into the radio "need ACLS backup, over" repeatedly. Good for the experience, but not as a career... good luck, doc.

anyone know what avg. salaries are for full-time emt-b positions with no prior experience? for those who have worked as emt's, where do you recommend looking for jobs after receiving certification?

rivers said:
anyone know what avg. salaries are for full-time emt-b positions with no prior experience? for those who have worked as emt's, where do you recommend looking for jobs after receiving certification?
not much! You're lucky to get $10/hr in my area as a beginning EMT-B, and it doesn't even go up much from there with experience. It's easiest to get a job with a private ambulance company, but try to find one that does 911 calls (your city may or may not allow that), because that's 10x more interesting than being the Grandma shuttle from the nursing home to the hospital. Taking someone to dialysis is awfully boring, but 911 calls are a lot more interesting.

Depending on the service and the area, Basic EMT's can get anywhere from minimum wage to a little over $10 an hour outside of major cities. Paramedics range from $15-$25 an hour. My cousin who recently retired as a medic after 23 years was making $24 an hour as a supervisor.

I'm an NREMT and I've been an EMT-B in my state for 6 years now. Starting EMTs make around $10/hr IF you're working an ambulance. After 8 hrs, you will make time and a half. AMR is the by far the largest group hiring EMTs.

If you work Ski Patrol, which I have done, at most resorts in your first year- at least in Tahoe- (Northstar, Boreal, Sugar Bowl) you will make anywhere from $7.50-$9.00/hr. $9 is a lot, btw. If you have experience and get hired at Squaw (and happen to be Shane McConkey's twin in skiing abilities or just missed the Olympic team by .3 seconds) or Mammoth, you can make up to $16/hr. Plus pro deals at Patagucci, K2, etc etc etc.

If you work rafting/backpacking, you generally make $5 more/day, unless you're on the Grand Canyon and you make nothing extra since they're requiring guides to at least be Wilderness First Responders.

If you are interested in Emergency Medicine, by all means, take the EMT course. It's way cool, and it's helpful knowledge. Just know that practice, practice, practice reinforces your skills in a way that your in-class time never will. Until you see oxygen help your first head trauma it's hard to really come to terms with what you've learned or understand what they're talking about (it also helps to discern if a 14 year old drama queen is faking it, which in my experience, many were wont to do until you offered them a needle...). If you like the outdoors, take the WEMT class, which is WAY cool. Check out NOLS' website for details. I know that a few are offered at the Bug Youth Hostel near Yoesmite for about six weeks during summer times, which is *not* a bad way to spend part of your summer.
There's also a really cool wilderness medicine conference that offers 23 CEUs for emts/paramedics/nurses/drs - check out www.wilderness-medicine.com for more info.
PM me if you want any info about EMT stuff. It really sparked my interest in going further.

I've been an EMT for about 6 months and I will definately suggest not ruling out interfacility transport ambulance companies (IFTs) if you live in a suburban area. Where I live the fire department runs all of the paramedic units. Most cities contract out the actual transport (i.e. if you call 911 you get the private contracted ambulance with EMT-Bs and a fire engine with the EMT-Paramedics). The EMT-Bs get to sit there, take a blood pressure, and watch the paramedic work. To be honest, I've seen enough cardioversions, intubations, and IV starts volunteering at my local hospital (grant it, I'm also a "I've seen that before, thanks, but I'll go do something useful instead of watching another cardioversion).

On the other hand, the IFTs generally get paid more and when we do have "ER" calls out of nursing homes we are the person assessing and treating (grant it, my area has very limited protocols for both the ALS and BLS levels. EMT-Bs can't give oral glucose or charcol or "assist" with prescribed epi-pens, ASA, Nitro, or any of that other fun stuff we're taught about in class) and deciding if we either need to run to the hospital (if short ETA) or call for ALS if it is major. Grant it, the down side is you'll have days where you'll do 12 hours of dialysis calls.

Siggy said:
I've been an EMT for about 6 months and I will definately suggest not ruling out interfacility transport ambulance companies (IFTs) if you live in a suburban area. Where I live the fire department runs all of the paramedic units. Most cities contract out the actual transport (i.e. if you call 911 you get the private contracted ambulance with EMT-Bs and a fire engine with the EMT-Paramedics). The EMT-Bs get to sit there, take a blood pressure, and watch the paramedic work. To be honest, I've seen enough cardioversions, intubations, and IV starts volunteering at my local hospital (grant it, I'm also a "I've seen that before, thanks, but I'll go do something useful instead of watching another cardioversion).

On the other hand, the IFTs generally get paid more and when we do have "ER" calls out of nursing homes we are the person assessing and treating (grant it, my area has very limited protocols for both the ALS and BLS levels. EMT-Bs can't give oral glucose or charcol or "assist" with prescribed epi-pens, ASA, Nitro, or any of that other fun stuff we're taught about in class) and deciding if we either need to run to the hospital (if short ETA) or call for ALS if it is major. Grant it, the down side is you'll have days where you'll do 12 hours of dialysis calls.

FYI, it's "granted", not "grant it"..not being a dick at all..just wanted to give you a heads up before that turned up on an application or something...since spellcheck doesn't catch those things ;) Lol, I made the goofy mistake of writing "accommodation" instead of "a commendation" on all my undergrad apps...definitely a big difference :(

Siggy said:
EMT-Bs can't give oral glucose or charcol or "assist" with prescribed epi-pens, ASA, Nitro, or any of that other fun stuff we're taught about in class

Sucks to be you. Remind me to never run as a Basic EMT in California.

ComicBookDude said:

Working in EMS can do wonders for your confidence in clinical settings. In addition, it looks great on your resume---especially if you did some volunteer EMS work.

I highly recommend it! :thumbup:

I did EMS training 2 nights a week at a community college while I was in undergrad, and then worked/volunteered on weekends.

nikibean said:
I'm an NREMT and I've been an EMT-B in my state for 6 years now. Starting EMTs make around $10/hr IF you're working an ambulance. After 8 hrs, you will make time and a half. AMR is the by far the largest group hiring EMTs.
OTOH, I don't get overtime until I break 40 hours in the week. Everyone works a 16 or 24 hour shift, so overtime after 8 hours would be ridiculous :p

How often do you get a call when you work for an EMS company? Also, what do you do in between calls? Do you just go home an wait for the next call?

premd said:
How often do you get a call when you work for an EMS company? Also, what do you do in between calls? Do you just go home an wait for the next call?

Totally depends on: 1. Where you're working. 2. When you're working. 3. Phase of the Moon. 4. Green Bay Packers

1. Big cities run a lot, sometimes non-stop.
2. Granny Taxi services are busier during the day, 911 calls are variable, but I'm sure studies show there's a higher incidence of various emergencies at various times of day.
3. Just Kidding.
4. Not kidding...a lady we picked up said she wanted to wait until the Packer game was over to call for help, which she did.

As for going home, it depends on where you work. Busier services require you to stay at base, or even on a rig parked in a strategic location. Smaller services, especially volunteer services, you can stay at home until needed. Unless you live too far away.
I work for a volunteer services in a town of 4000, so we don't run very often, maybe 5 a week, tops. Most in the morning and evening. I also run with a private service that does inter-facility transports and 911 coverage for a town of 10-15,000, but also includes a few prison facilities, so we usually have a rig or two rolling any time during the day, at night it's much more quiet.

At the private service, when things are slow, I usually read or do homework if there isn't ambulance washing/inventory/inspection to do. We also have digital cable, so I've been known to watch TV for 8 hours straight as well. (I got PAID to watch Matrix Revolutions, which was great since I'd never spend money to see it myself). Also, I've been known to do puzzles, play chess, hold ice cube melting races, or sleep.

Praetorian said:
Sucks to be you. Remind me to never run as a Basic EMT in California.
We can't do NPAs either. All of the EMT-B restrictions are county protocols because our branch in another county carries at least oral glucose. My county just recently approved standing orders and an ALS No-Contact protocol as it is.

Zoom-Zoom said:
FYI, it's "granted", not "grant it"..not being a dick at all..just wanted to give you a heads up before that turned up on an application or something...since spellcheck doesn't catch those things ;) Lol, I made the goofy mistake of writing "accommodation" instead of "a commendation" on all my undergrad apps...definitely a big difference :(
Thanks...

TheProwler said:
OTOH, I don't get overtime until I break 40 hours in the week. Everyone works a 16 or 24 hour shift, so overtime after 8 hours would be ridiculous :p

Not always true, as with most things in EMS, it depends on the company.

My company runs 12 hour shifts (we have 1 24-hour station car) with time and a half after 8 hours and double time after 12. People were apparently pulling some serious money by working back to back 12's untill the company essentially banned the practice due to back injuries,

Agent Splat said:
Totally depends on: 1. Where you're working. 2. When you're working. 3. Phase of the Moon. 4. Green Bay Packers

1. Big cities run a lot, sometimes non-stop.
2. Granny Taxi services are busier during the day, 911 calls are variable, but I'm sure studies show there's a higher incidence of various emergencies at various times of day.
3. Just Kidding.
4. Not kidding...a lady we picked up said she wanted to wait until the Packer game was over to call for help, which she did.
Not true! Full moon = more calls. My friend is an ER tech at St. Mary's, and she sees a tsunami's worth of patients on a full moon. Don't ask why.

As for #2, there aren't many 911 calls around 4am or 9am, but anything else seems to be fair game.