Encompass Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dansk2011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience or know anything about working for Encompass Health? Asking for a friend who is afraid they are going to be out of a job soon because of everything going on with Corona.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any experience or know anything about working for Encompass Health? Asking for a friend who is afraid they are going to be out of a job soon because of everything going on with Corona.

Encompasshealth overall is a reasonable place with pros and cons. Pros: great pay for physicians, some flexibility in terms in scheduling, can either be contractor vs. employed, if a med director, stipend is high, can set up outpatient type clinic, large # of patients, reasonable facilities.
Cons: limited control of who is admitted unless you are a med director, a lot of debility/deconditioning type stuff, etc.

Thank you for you response. Have you worked with them or do you currently work there? Do you know if they expect you to see or carry a certain census of patients? Also, as far as call responsibilities any idea how that generally works? Is there a difference of responsibility for contractor vs physician group employee with them? Is it days that are flexible or what is flexible as far as the schedule is concerned? I appreciate the information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for you response. Have you worked with them or do you currently work there? Do you know if they expect you to see or carry a certain census of patients? Also, as far as call responsibilities any idea how that generally works? Is there a difference of responsibility for contractor vs physician group employee with them? Is it days that are flexible or what is flexible as far as the schedule is concerned? I appreciate the information.

I don't work for them, but was in the process of almost taking a job - i don't know the answer to all your questions but you should ask a recruiter - they tend ot be helpful and responsive when you inquire.

Reactions: 1 users
Have heard encompass can be a shady place to work, I knew someone who worked for one, apparently the admission criteria for ARU was very loose, think they got in trouble with DOJ, not sure how much they had to pay, but impression was they were admitting patients that probably did not meet ARU admission criteria

Reactions: 1 user
Have heard encompass can be a shady place to work, I knew someone who worked for one, apparently the admission criteria for ARU was very loose, think they got in trouble with DOJ, not sure how much they had to pay, but impression was they were admitting patients that probably did not meet ARU admission criteria

there was a whistleblower lawsuit in the past and they did pay out a chunk of cash but they rake in like 3billion so not sure they are really hurting that much

i have a classmate who is a med director, he also does some emgs on the side, he's raking in over 500k and doesn't work 40hours not too shabby

there was a whistleblower lawsuit in the past and they did pay out a chunk of cash but they rake in like 3billion so not sure they are really hurting that much

i have a classmate who is a med director, he also does some emgs on the side, he's raking in over 500k and doesn't work 40hours not too shabby

Does your classmate live in a rural or low SES place? Asking because I plan on going into inpatient practice after I graduate as well

The good:
  • Good money, especially if you have a directorship stipend.
  • Full directors can make 7-10K per month on top of their insurance collections.
  • Associate directors can make $5K a month on top of their insurance collections.
  • Even better money if you're signing up for one of their hospitals that has had trouble recruiting. Sign-on package can be up to 50K, from what I've heard, not including another 15-20K for relocation.
  • If you opt to go the independent contractor route, you set your own vacation time--your vacations are just unpaid.
  • The therapists tend to be really good and trustworthy.
So far so good.

The bad:
  • Lots of pressures to accept inappropriate patients who can't actually participate in therapy, nursing-home type patients who could never in a million years do 3 hours of therapy. Quite often, these patients will be sitting in group therapies, barely awake as the therapists try to desperately get some activity out of them.
  • Lots of suggestions to code for diagnoses that won't impact what you actually do for a patient. What do you actually do differently if the patient has a myopathy?
  • Lots of readmissions of the same patients over and over and over again. If anyone has ever had a stroke and is admitted to the acute care hospital for any other reason (UTI, CHF, pneumonia, etc), they get readmitted to HealthSouth/Encompass for "late effect stroke." As you can imagine for patients with chronic disorders like COPD, CHF, and CKD, this can happen a lot. There is always a reason someone like that will be deconditioned after one their frequent hospitalizations.
  • Lots of patients admitted for "myopathy." Disuse myopathy, critical illness myopathy, uremic myopathy, ________ myopathy. Very, very few of these "myopathies" are supported by the documentation of EMG findings, elevated CK levels, or even proximal more than distal weakness. If they want to admit an old deconditioned person, and they can't say that it's because of a stroke from 5 years ago, they call it "myopathy" and admit the patient. They had to settle out of court and pay Medicare $48 million about 2 years ago. They didn't admit wrongdoing. And the behavior hasn't changed much.
  • Lots of "encephalopathies" coded as brain injury. Patient is admitted to the hospital for UTI-related sepsis and develops some confusion? Great! You can admit him as an "encephalopathy" if they show some confusion at any point during their acute care stay, even if they are back to their mental baseline by the time they get to IPR. Also "encephalopathic" are alcoholics admitted after binge drinking. Many of these patients will have some deficits after being evaluated by therapy in acute care, maybe from the fact that they're still zonked, maybe from Wernicke's encephalopathy. They quickly return to their baseline after detoxing, as they would without therapy. Then the vast majority will go home, drink again, and return for another bout of "encephalopathy" a few months later.
  • Lots of their hospitals have a hard time following the 60/40 rule. It shouldn't be that hard to ensure that 60% of your patients have a CMS-13 diagnosis. But when you're trying to admit every deconditioned old person in town, you're going to run out of that 40% fairly quickly. Hence the incentive to fudge and code people for "strokes," "encephalopathies" and "myopathies."
  • If you make your peace with the system, you will thrive and make $$$. If you decide that you can't in good conscience participate in such a system, you will get tired of refusing patients--who will be admitted by one of your colleagues--and you will eventually leave.
  • The nursing staff can be below average. Some HS facilities will hire one RN per shift--all the rest being LPNs. This saves money, but you can't always count on your nurses to catch things early.
  • The staffing ratios can be atrocious: 6-8 patients per nurse, sometimes more. Not enough nurses aides. Patients complain all the time that it takes them forever to get some assistance when they press the call light. Some will decide that they might as well get up and take themselves to the bathroom. This, of course, increases the fall risk.
Personally, I have decided that I wouldn't work for a system where I wouldn't feel comfortable if my mom were admitted.
Are some of these issues fixable? Sure. If you have a good referral base and little competition in your town, the incentive to admit inappropriate patients will decrease. But my take is that the higher-ups at the company have incorporated admitting inappropriate patients into their business model. They get the money upfront. Then, if Medicare sues, they can hire enough lawyers to settle out of court and pay back part of the money. They still come out ahead. A $48 mil fine is just the cost of doing business.

If you ask me, the best way to see if you want to work somewhere is to do a stint there as a locum tenens. You're never going to see what it's really like on an interview. They're going to butter you up and show you only the good parts. And just like men on a date with a hot woman are often prone to thinking with their nether parts, you're going to be too under the allure of the $$$ to think straight, especially if you're early in your career.

That's my 2 pesos! PM me if you have any preguntas.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Words of wisdom above. I have heard the same for years and have a few colleagues who have done stings at encompass/healthsouth. That said a lot of docs are okay with overlooking the mentioned negatives.

Reactions: 1 user
The good:
  • Good money, especially if you have a directorship stipend.
  • Associate directors make about $6K a month on top of their insurance collections.
  • Full medical directors make north of 10K a month on top of their insurance collections.
  • Even better money if you're signing up for one of their hospitals that has had trouble recruiting. Sign-on package can be up to 50K, not including another 15-20K for relocation.
  • If you opt to go the independent contractor route, you set your own vacation time--your vacations are just unpaid.
  • The therapists tend to be really good and trustworthy.
So far so good.

The bad:
  • Lots of pressures to accept inappropriate patients who can't actually participate in therapy, nursing-home type patients who could never in a million years do 3 hours of therapy. Quite often, these patients will be sitting in group therapies, barely awake as the therapists try to desperately get some activity out of them.
  • Lots of suggestions to code for diagnoses that won't impact what you actually do for a patient. What do you actually do differently if the patient has a myopathy?
  • Lots of readmissions of the same patients over and over and over again. If anyone has ever had a stroke and is admitted to the acute care hospital for any other reason (UTI, CHF, pneumonia, etc), they get readmitted to HealthSouth/Encompass for "late effect stroke." As you can imagine for patients with chronic disorders like COPD, CHF, and CKD, this can happen a lot. There is always a reason someone like that will be deconditioned after one their frequent hospitalizations.
  • Lots of patients admitted for "myopathy." Disuse myopathy, critical illness myopathy, uremic myopathy, ________ myopathy. Very, very few of these "myopathies" are supported by the documentation of EMG findings, elevated CK levels, or even proximal more than distal weakness. If they want to admit an old deconditioned person, and they can't say that it's because of a stroke from 5 years ago, they call it "myopathy" and admit the patient. They had to settle out of court and pay Medicare $48 million about 2 years ago. They didn't admit wrongdoing. And the behavior hasn't changed much.
  • Lots of "encephalopathies" coded as brain injury. Patient is admitted to the hospital for UTI-related sepsis and develops some confusion? Great! You can admit him as an "encephalopathy" if they show some confusion at any point during their acute care stay, even if they are back to their mental baseline by the time they get to IPR. Also "encephalopathic" are alcoholics admitted after binge drinking. Many of these patients will have some deficits after being evaluated by therapy in acute care, maybe from the fact that they're still zonked, maybe from Wernicke's encephalopathy. They quickly return to their baseline after detoxing, as they would without therapy. Then the vast majority will go home, drink again, and return for another bout of "encephalopathy" a few months later.
  • Lots of their hospitals have a hard time following the 60/40 rule. It shouldn't be that hard to ensure that 60% of your patients have a CMS-13 diagnosis. But when you're trying to admit every deconditioned old person in town, you're going to run out of that 40% fairly quickly. Hence the incentive to fudge and code people for "strokes," "encephalopathies" and "myopathies."
  • If you make your peace with the system, you will thrive and make $$$. If you decide that you can't in good conscience participate in such a system, you will get tired of refusing patients--who will be admitted by one of your colleagues--and you will eventually leave.
  • The nursing staff can be below average. Some HS facilities will hire one RN per shift--all the rest being LPNs. This saves money, but you can't always count on your nurses to catch things early.
  • The staffing ratios can be atrocious: 6-8 patients per nurse, sometimes more. Not enough nurses aides. Patients complain all the time that it takes them forever to get some assistance when they press the call light. Some will decide that they might as well get up and take themselves to the bathroom. This, of course, increases the fall risk.
Personally, I have decided that I wouldn't work for a system where I wouldn't feel comfortable if my mom were admitted.
Are some of these issues fixable? Sure. If you have a good referral base and little competition in your town, the incentive to admit inappropriate patients will decrease. But my take is that the higher-ups at the company have incorporated admitting inappropriate patients into their business model. They get the money upfront. Then, if Medicare sues, they can hire enough lawyers to settle out of court and pay back part of the money. They still come out ahead. A $48 mil fine is just the cost of doing business.

If you ask me, the best way to see if you want to work somewhere is to do a stint there as a locum tenens. You're never going to see what it's really like on an interview. They're going to butter you up and show you only the good parts. And just like men on a date with a hot woman are often prone to thinking with their nether parts, you're going to be too under the allure of the $$$ to think straight, especially if you're early in your career.

That's my 2 pesos! PM me if you have any preguntas.

This is mostly true, I currently work at one of their facilities. My medical director has been there for over 20 years even before it was Health south. I think one big factor is the medical director. When i first started I had a ton of pressure to accept those inappropriate type patients and my medical director had my back as I refused them. By inappropriate including but not limited to unable to participate in therapy, diagnoses that had completely resolved(think TIA or UTI encephelopathy), old diagnoses(BKA 10 years ago, stroke 5 years ago). They will try to say someone who was independent walking into hospital was there 2 days and now has critical illness myopathy.......NOPE. At the same time I got to know some of the cardiac and vascular surgeons in town. I dont have any trouble keeping up my census with a steady stream of new amputees and post CABG patients that supplement the appropriate strokes/TBI etc. I also go very upset when they kept sending me prescreens with encephalopathy coding on stupid UTI or late effect stroke where it was long ago and little to no residual deficits and starting rejecting them all. If the patient had a real rehab diagnosis on top of that I would make them redo the entire thing and they quit sending them to me like that. We recently had a new liason that transferred from another market and there was a lot of friction as she tried to give my partners and I a lot of these shady patients(diagnoses not character.) Complained that at her other facility they would all be accepted. Im not sure if she is going to make it here. If you are easily pushed they will take advantage of you and you will basically be running a nursing home service. If you are proactive it can be a pretty nice gig.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Reactions: 2 users