Encompass vs Vibra vs Kindred vs HCA etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lejeunesage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you worked for one of more of these large inpatient rehab groups?
What are your experiences? Any company you'd recommend? Any you'd avoid?

Members don't see this ad.

Currently work at an Encompass. Despite what people have said it's actually a pretty good gig. That being said, I think like anything else it's dependent on what that specific hospital's setup is. I am at a smaller Encompass with full time IM coverage so my call is not much and I get to focus on rehabilitation and not so much medical management which is awesome. I can also do pretty much whatever I want on the side outside of working at another acute rehabilitation within a certain mileage. For the most part Kindred, Vibra, and Encompass are the same in the way of your responsibilities to the hospital. Some may offer stipends for assisting the medical director (if you aren't the medical director that is) while others may not. Not sure of any other major differences. Regardless of where you work, the liaisons will both be integral to getting volume but will also likely be a nuisance. People have said that Encompass is more "profit driven" which may be somewhat true but at the end of the day the goal for all of the hospital systems are to get patients in beds. I have friends who work for other hospital systems (not one of the listed above) who complain about the liaisons so it's basically the same pretty much everywhere. Medicine is a business like anything else so if you can accept that while also trying to do what's best/right, it makes things easier. I think they all offer flexibility which is great and you eat what you kill so you can work as hard or as little as you would like for the most part. I don't know much about HCA as far as rehabilitation but my wife is a physician and worked at an HCA hospital employed and it was a nightmare. That being said it was in a very dysfunctional hospital to begin with and an extremely dysfunctional unit/service. However I haven't really heard great things about HCA in general. Not sure if that helps. Can PM if you feel the need for more information.

Reactions: 2 users
I posted a question regarding encompass last year that people answered before I took the job. For the most part they were fairly accurate but again everywhere is different. I'm happy with my decision so far but do deal with a lot of the same headaches/issues that people had commented on. That being said you do have a fair bit of control and as I mentioned before I know people who work in other places that deal with the same stuff. You'd also be suprised by how many people who may end up in the hospital that don't seem appropriate on paper or even when they initially show up that thrive and end up going home. And the ones who don't, you end up providing education and knowledge to the family about options for care and sometimes act as bridge to hospice or whatever else. There is a role.

I've practiced pain and also done work at SNFs and I do have to say that I feel more WAY comfortable with my day to day work and role working at Encompass then either of the other two things.

Reactions: 2 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users