Encouragement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shamyaw00

Reaction score
Hi, I just honestly need some encouragement right now. I’m 20, just had a baby, and really frustrated/disappointed with myself. I’ve had to retake biology 3 times (2 of those were withdrawals because I knew I was gonna fail) and I’m going to have to take it once again (had my baby in February so that’s part of the reason). I was supposed to graduate this semester if I had went straight through and not failed any classes. At risk of losing financial aid, already lost my scholarship...just a lot. It really makes me think is that all even worth it.

Members don't see this ad.

I had my kiddo at 20. It's hard in the beginning but your child will soon be (if not already) your reason, not your hindrance.

You're kind of at a crossroads. On one hand, you're early on in the game. W --> W ---> F ---> A or B is still possible but you have to be realistic. If you can TRULY attribute that unfortunate series of events as circumstance-induced, then there's a chance you can seriously change your study habits, go to tutoring at the school, live on Khan Academy, and make a grade that will show "redemption." Even if you do this, however, you've basically used your get-out-of-jail free cards. You will need a near-perfect track record from here on out. If you are struggling that much with Bio 1 (arguably the easiest of the pre-med requirements), how are you going to do with organic or biochem? Physics? Any suggested electives that build on bio?

Furthermore, if you've lost your scholarship (can it be reinstated?), you need to recalculate the math on this situation. I absolutely would not have earned my Bachelor's without my 75% scholarship. There's just no way, or if I'd have miraculously pulled it off, I'd still be carrying wicked student debt and probably would have had other financial issues (I was able to use grants / loans for living expenses AND still worked on top of the scholarship - I just truly don't think the math would have worked without scholarship - but only you know your financial situation. My school also paid for 50% of my child's daycare during class).

If I were you? I'd do the same thing I did. Took a few years out of school to work, returned for my pre-med prerequisites when my child was in Kindergarten so I no longer had the burden of childcare and he was independent enough to where I could take a shower or read a paragraph without interruption. I know this doesn't sound appealing right now, but it's something to consider. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I had my kiddo at 20. It's hard in the beginning but your child will soon be (if not already) your reason, not your hindrance.

You're kind of at a crossroads. On one hand, you're early on in the game. W --> W ---> F ---> A or B is still possible but you have to be realistic. If you can TRULY attribute that unfortunate series of events as circumstance-induced, then there's a chance you can seriously change your study habits, go to tutoring at the school, live on Khan Academy, and make a grade that will show "redemption." Even if you do this, however, you've basically used your get-out-of-jail free cards. You will need a near-perfect track record from here on out. If you are struggling that much with Bio 1 (arguably the easiest of the pre-med requirements), how are you going to do with organic or biochem? Physics? Any suggested electives that build on bio?

Furthermore, if you've lost your scholarship (can it be reinstated?), you need to recalculate the math on this situation. I absolutely would not have earned my Bachelor's without my 75% scholarship. There's just no way, or if I'd have miraculously pulled it off, I'd still be carrying wicked student debt and probably would have had other financial issues (I was able to use grants / loans for living expenses AND still worked on top of the scholarship - I just truly don't think the math would have worked without scholarship - but only you know your financial situation. My school also paid for 50% of my child's daycare during class).

If I were you? I'd do the same thing I did. Took a few years out of school to work, returned for my pre-med prerequisites when my child was in Kindergarten so I no longer had the burden of childcare and he was independent enough to where I could take a shower or read a paragraph without interruption. I know this doesn't sound appealing right now, but it's something to consider. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Hi thank you for your response! I don’t think I really struggle with it mainly it’s always been some outside element that kept me from studying like I needed to (family getting sick, marital problems, finance problems, 1st trimester fatigue, having the baby) so I would end up trying to cram the night before. Thankfully I have a grant for my childcare so I only pay $25 a month! She just started today and it helps tremendously. I think once I get in the swing of things with the baby, I should be back on track. As far as the scholarship, I can if I get my GPA back up, which will take about a year to do. It’s just frustrating and disappointing if anything, and makes me feel like how can I even be a doctor, but I know that’s what I’m supposed to and want to be so I will keep at it.

A good girlfriend of mine started med school with a 3 or 4-year-old, so she was pretty much on your timetable. Hang in there!!! Can you get a tutor, even over Zoom?