Here for encouragement (and some advice on PS)

Started by xmukurox
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

xmukurox

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

I am a non-trad student who has been lurking around for a while. I decided to post this thread because I would like some encouragement and hopefully get some insights from people who had been on the similar path. I feel like I don't have much more energy left, but I definitely don't want to give up on becoming a physician.

Here is my background: I have tried to apply for medical school since 2015, but I had a few setbacks that have delayed me for two years. In 2015, I struggled with an immigration process. I waited for a year to finally become a permanent resident, but during that year I worked in an EMS field to get some clinical experience. Last year, I lost my spouse from health issues. That was when everything seemed to stand still to me. Not long after that, I tried to scribe as someone suggested me to do. Despite 300+ hours of scribing, it did not turn out well as I was not in the right mindset. I thought to myself that well, I could cut down workload and concentrate on killing the MCAT. However, it was difficult for me to execute my plan, and I blew the opportunity of downtime. I was scheduled to take it in last Jan but had to move to mid May. Now I am in school full-time to finish the rest of my pre-reqs. My overall feeling about this whole process is overwhelming, especially after I started working on my PS. It wasn't about my spouse's death that I am writing about; it was his experience in a healthy patient-physician relationship that he had with his doctor, and I got to witness it.

My questions are: 1) where do/did you guys find that energy to keep on going?; 2) if you ever wrote about your struggles, how did you go about it?

Thank you for your time, and I am hoping that I am not being hysterical about things.

xmukurox
 
I stopped for 6 months, more than once, and re-evaluated. This last time, I knew this was it. As Goro said to someone else, though appropriate for me too, @#$ or get off the pot.

I'm off the pot.
 
Hi All,

I am a non-trad student who has been lurking around for a while. I decided to post this thread because I would like some encouragement and hopefully get some insights from people who had been on the similar path. I feel like I don't have much more energy left, but I definitely don't want to give up on becoming a physician.

Here is my background: I have tried to apply for medical school since 2015, but I had a few setbacks that have delayed me for two years. In 2015, I struggled with an immigration process. I waited for a year to finally become a permanent resident, but during that year I worked in an EMS field to get some clinical experience. Last year, I lost my spouse from health issues. That was when everything seemed to stand still to me. Not long after that, I tried to scribe as someone suggested me to do. Despite 300+ hours of scribing, it did not turn out well as I was not in the right mindset. I thought to myself that well, I could cut down workload and concentrate on killing the MCAT. However, it was difficult for me to execute my plan, and I blew the opportunity of downtime. I was scheduled to take it in last Jan but had to move to mid May. Now I am in school full-time to finish the rest of my pre-reqs. My overall feeling about this whole process is overwhelming, especially after I started working on my PS. It wasn't about my spouse's death that I am writing about; it was his experience in a healthy patient-physician relationship that he had with his doctor, and I got to witness it.

My questions are: 1) where do/did you guys find that energy to keep on going?; 2) if you ever wrote about your struggles, how did you go about it?

Thank you for your time, and I am hoping that I am not being hysterical about things.

xmukurox

1) I think the lack of energy has to do with all the energy you must have expended powering through your spouse's death. Honestly, I think you might need some time away from the medical school application hustle to regroup...

2) You might consider PMing gonnif or cabinbuider (?) Gonnif is a medical school app consultant and cabinbuilder apparently lives for a medical school PS makeover.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Last edited: