Here for encouragement (and some advice on PS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xmukurox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a non-trad student who has been lurking around for a while. I decided to post this thread because I would like some encouragement and hopefully get some insights from people who had been on the similar path. I feel like I don't have much more energy left, but I definitely don't want to give up on becoming a physician.

Here is my background: I have tried to apply for medical school since 2015, but I had a few setbacks that have delayed me for two years. In 2015, I struggled with an immigration process. I waited for a year to finally become a permanent resident, but during that year I worked in an EMS field to get some clinical experience. Last year, I lost my spouse from health issues. That was when everything seemed to stand still to me. Not long after that, I tried to scribe as someone suggested me to do. Despite 300+ hours of scribing, it did not turn out well as I was not in the right mindset. I thought to myself that well, I could cut down workload and concentrate on killing the MCAT. However, it was difficult for me to execute my plan, and I blew the opportunity of downtime. I was scheduled to take it in last Jan but had to move to mid May. Now I am in school full-time to finish the rest of my pre-reqs. My overall feeling about this whole process is overwhelming, especially after I started working on my PS. It wasn't about my spouse's death that I am writing about; it was his experience in a healthy patient-physician relationship that he had with his doctor, and I got to witness it.

My questions are: 1) where do/did you guys find that energy to keep on going?; 2) if you ever wrote about your struggles, how did you go about it?

Thank you for your time, and I am hoping that I am not being hysterical about things.

xmukurox

Members don't see this ad.

I stopped for 6 months, more than once, and re-evaluated. This last time, I knew this was it. As Goro said to someone else, though appropriate for me too, @#$ or get off the pot.

I'm off the pot.

Hi All,

I am a non-trad student who has been lurking around for a while. I decided to post this thread because I would like some encouragement and hopefully get some insights from people who had been on the similar path. I feel like I don't have much more energy left, but I definitely don't want to give up on becoming a physician.

Here is my background: I have tried to apply for medical school since 2015, but I had a few setbacks that have delayed me for two years. In 2015, I struggled with an immigration process. I waited for a year to finally become a permanent resident, but during that year I worked in an EMS field to get some clinical experience. Last year, I lost my spouse from health issues. That was when everything seemed to stand still to me. Not long after that, I tried to scribe as someone suggested me to do. Despite 300+ hours of scribing, it did not turn out well as I was not in the right mindset. I thought to myself that well, I could cut down workload and concentrate on killing the MCAT. However, it was difficult for me to execute my plan, and I blew the opportunity of downtime. I was scheduled to take it in last Jan but had to move to mid May. Now I am in school full-time to finish the rest of my pre-reqs. My overall feeling about this whole process is overwhelming, especially after I started working on my PS. It wasn't about my spouse's death that I am writing about; it was his experience in a healthy patient-physician relationship that he had with his doctor, and I got to witness it.

My questions are: 1) where do/did you guys find that energy to keep on going?; 2) if you ever wrote about your struggles, how did you go about it?

Thank you for your time, and I am hoping that I am not being hysterical about things.

xmukurox

1) I think the lack of energy has to do with all the energy you must have expended powering through your spouse's death. Honestly, I think you might need some time away from the medical school application hustle to regroup...

2) You might consider PMing gonnif or cabinbuider (?) Gonnif is a medical school app consultant and cabinbuilder apparently lives for a medical school PS makeover.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited: