End of the road (UCLA v. Harvard v. Penn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Decisions, decisions...

• Harvard

Votes: 103 56.3%
  • Penn

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • UCLA

Votes: 62 33.9%

• Total voters
yeeeeeeeeee boi

Members don't see this ad.

Disregard. It seems he made his decision, but I'll leave my post.

It would be such an easy decision to choose Harvard if you weren't offered a full ride from UCLA. However, since you were offered at full ride, I say you go to UCLA. 150K is a lot of money and the possibility of graduating almost debt free is too good to give up. Some people that say that saving 150K is not worth a life experience is naive IMO (no offense). I am willing to bet that if you ask any grown adult who knows that money is hard to come by will tell you to go to UCLA.

Additionally, at UCLA, you know you will have a good experience especially with your family and friends. If you go to Harvard, you are assuming you will have a good experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
BRAVO!!! Very eloquently put. Best of luck at Harvard! I'll be a fellow Boston-ite this coming August! :-D

Sorry to leave everyone hanging... I've been extremely busy in the last couple weeks.

First, I would like to thank everyone for their input (except for the guy that said I was "douchey" haha). All of your advice has been essential, and I have taken all of it into account during this process.

When it comes down to the bare facts, while I probably won't enjoy the cold whether (which worries me most) and even though I will incur some debt, I believe that Harvard will provide more opportunities for me, not just toward my future career but toward my own self-discovery. As many people have said, choosing which school to attend is a very big decision in the context of our still youthful lives. I don't think I've ever had to make a more substantial decision before this one.

I think by going to Harvard, I put myself in two favorable situations, both of which promote personal growth. (1) As a new institution, I am forced to "start from the bottom". Unlike if I were to stay at UCLA, I will not be able to use any of my connections or acquaintances to propel myself through the program. Instead, I will have to learn how to network from the bare minimum once again, and the development of this skill will ultimately make me better off in the long run. And I don't plan on losing my contacts at UCLA while I am away; I have been able to create very strong relationships with my mentors.

(2) In a new city, I will be forced to adjust to a completely new environment. Often times, we traditional students tend to lose this opportunity to "grow up", especially if we go to college near home. I was never really able to "go away for college", which I think is a pivotal stage in a young person's life. Sure, some of you have suggested just taking a really long vacation. But it really isn't the same. The experience of living away from home for a few years is what I'm after. It's time for me to grow up whether I like it or not.

Additionally, Harvard is just an amazing institution overall. I know that it may get knocked sometimes for its preclinical/clinical training, but that doesn't bother me. Hearsay can only be taken for what it is. (In fact, I plan on keeping in communication with SDN as I progress through the program, with hopes of debunking some of these 'ivy league rumors'.) Ultimately, probably none of us will be at an adequate skill level at the time we graduate anyway, no matter where you graduate from. This claim combined with new pathways toward licensure leads me to believe that I will be pursuing a post-graduate program even if I pursue general dentistry.

The opportunities that I will find at Harvard will hopefully trump all of the lurking pitfalls of the program if any. For example, I have the opportunity to complete joint programs with the majority of the other Harvard schools (all of them top notch), including public health, government, business, etc., and this is very exciting for me. Furthermore, I just recently applied to the MIT Health Sciences and Technology (HST) program, which is a joint program between Harvard and MIT, which involves a shared curriculum and tons of research and higher learning opportunities. Most of all though, I am excited for the people. The students and the faculty are amazing at HSDM and affiliated schools. Being a part of this community is what I most look forward to.

In light of all of this, I could not imagine setting a cost limitation to my experience. (Even though HSDM is a relatively affordable dental school anyway) For those of you who may think I'm foolish for choosing the more expensive option, all I can say is that I will be fine; I will be able to pay off my debt. And at least I can look back and not regret missing an opportunity. Sure, all of this is a risk. But who's to say that there has to be any difference between "risk" and "opportunity". In my view, they should be treated the same.

:thumbup: I look forward to meeting you there in the fall!

Congrats OP on choosing Harvard. It sounds like you really thought it over well. In the end, I think you were in a win-win situation, with 3+ excellent schools to choose from.

Sorry to leave everyone hanging... I've been extremely busy in the last couple weeks.

First, I would like to thank everyone for their input (except for the guy that said I was "douchey" haha) . All of your advice has been essential, and I have taken all of it into account during this process.

When it comes down to the bare facts, while I probably won't enjoy the cold whether (which worries me most) and even though I will incur some debt, I believe that Harvard will provide more opportunities for me, not just toward my future career but toward my own self-discovery. As many people have said, choosing which school to attend is a very big decision in the context of our still youthful lives. I don't think I've ever had to make a more substantial decision before this one.

I think by going to Harvard, I put myself in two favorable situations, both of which promote personal growth. (1) As a new institution, I am forced to "start from the bottom". Unlike if I were to stay at UCLA, I will not be able to use any of my connections or acquaintances to propel myself through the program. Instead, I will have to learn how to network from the bare minimum once again, and the development of this skill will ultimately make me better off in the long run. And I don't plan on losing my contacts at UCLA while I am away; I have been able to create very strong relationships with my mentors.

(2) In a new city, I will be forced to adjust to a completely new environment. Often times, we traditional students tend to lose this opportunity to "grow up", especially if we go to college near home. I was never really able to "go away for college", which I think is a pivotal stage in a young person's life. Sure, some of you have suggested just taking a really long vacation. But it really isn't the same. The experience of living away from home for a few years is what I'm after. It's time for me to grow up whether I like it or not.

Additionally, Harvard is just an amazing institution overall. I know that it may get knocked sometimes for its preclinical/clinical training, but that doesn't bother me. Hearsay can only be taken for what it is. (In fact, I plan on keeping in communication with SDN as I progress through the program, with hopes of debunking some of these 'ivy league rumors'.) Ultimately, probably none of us will be at an adequate skill level at the time we graduate anyway, no matter where you graduate from. This claim combined with new pathways toward licensure leads me to believe that I will be pursuing a post-graduate program even if I pursue general dentistry.

The opportunities that I will find at Harvard will hopefully trump all of the lurking pitfalls of the program if any. For example, I have the opportunity to complete joint programs with the majority of the other Harvard schools (all of them top notch), including public health, government, business, etc., and this is very exciting for me. Furthermore, I just recently applied to the MIT Health Sciences and Technology (HST) program, which is a joint program between Harvard and MIT, which involves a shared curriculum and tons of research and higher learning opportunities. Most of all though, I am excited for the people. The students and the faculty are amazing at HSDM and affiliated schools. Being a part of this community is what I most look forward to.

In light of all of this, I could not imagine setting a cost limitation to my experience. (Even though HSDM is a relatively affordable dental school anyway) For those of you who may think I'm foolish for choosing the more expensive option, all I can say is that I will be fine; I will be able to pay off my debt. And at least I can look back and not regret missing an opportunity. Sure, all of this is a risk. But who's to say that there has to be any difference between "risk" and "opportunity". In my view, they should be treated the same.

Are you blind? Look at the behemoth you just wrote. Get over yourself.

Are you blind? Look at the behemoth you just wrote. Get over yourself.

I dunno... I remember the first time I saw his/her posts with his/her DAT scores and his/her constant contemplations on whether to apply or not because it was like December. This was like 2 years ago lol. I thought he/she was a little too full of himself/herself at that time.

But then I thought it through and realized this person is like the perfect applicant. Hell if I was like this I'd boast about my accomplishments too. Unfortunately, I'm a few ECs short of a perfect student so bravo OP I give you your props.

So I was asking my friends about this decision, and one important thing came up that we all missed: LEGACY

Suddenly it dawned on me, the importance of legacy. My next door neighbor went to Harvard...and so did his parents. Legacy definitely plays a role in IVY admissions for your children. Getting into Harvard or other Ivys for undergraduate school is everyone's dream. It opens so many venues/opportunites such as connections, law schools, medical schools, business schools, top corporations, top internships etc etc. Ensuring those options for your future children is well worth the 300k in my opinion.

I've officially changed my mind. Go to Harvard. I would do it for my children, NOT for my Dental Education. :thumbup:

Legacy plays a HHHHUUUUGGGGEEEE role in undergraduate admissions into IVY league schools. I'd put it at 40/60 legacy/stats because highschool stats are all inflated across the country and wayyy more towards legacy if your parent is a well known politician, big time CEO, or large doner. I'm sure its the same way for the graduate programs. People say a school like Harvard doesn't necessarily offer a better education than any other school which may be true, but theres no denying the fact that Harvard provides access to so much more opportunities you cannot get most other places... mainly connections. In this time and age, its not about what you know but who you know...

Just so I understand you correctly --- he should go to Harvard in order to provide his children with a comparable (yet significant) debt burden that he will receive? Not exactly a legacy I would want my children to share.

For reference, I graduated from Penn undergrad. Ivy's are very expensive and I can't say for certain if I received a better education than my cousins from UVA or Cal. In terms of connections -- sure, they are there in a limited capacity.

For example, there are certain financial firms that only recruit from the Wharton school of business at Upenn. Specifically, I mean Wharton. They will not recruit on site directly from Economics majors from the school of arts and sciences at Penn. Say you graduated from Dental School at Penn. You think that is going to mean a thing to Wharton's admission council when looking at your kid's application? They couldn't care less. The degree of inter-school admissions pulling comes from family name (and pay for Quaker) moreso than from being an alumnist of a different program. So yeah, there are certain benefits but they have limitations.

The benefits are not this all encompassing white rabbit foot as you are making them out to be.

i went to Harvard for undergrad, and assuming that the administration maintains its stance towards financial aid (which they did through the economic downturn), students are not required to take out loans to finance their education. you can choose to take out loans to meet the student contribution, but that's only about $3000 a year currently.

(i know it's a bit non-sequitur and not really a factor here, but i felt like it was worth sharing. not all ivies are the same.)

i went to Harvard for undergrad, and assuming that the administration maintains its stance towards financial aid (which they did through the economic downturn), students are not required to take out loans to finance their education. you can choose to take out loans to meet the student contribution, but that's only about $3000 a year currently.

(i know it's a bit non-sequitur and not really a factor here, but i felt like it was worth sharing. not all ivies are the same.)

'non-sequitur'...love the highbrow language bro :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Legacy plays a HHHHUUUUGGGGEEEE role in undergraduate admissions into IVY league schools. I'd put it at 40/60 legacy/stats because highschool stats are all inflated across the country and wayyy more towards legacy if your parent is a well known politician, big time CEO, or large doner. I'm sure its the same way for the graduate programs.

From what I've heard, legacy doesn't work the same way for graduate programs, but I don't know for sure.

OP, good luck at Harvard next year!

Great thread! Had to agree with whoever said it previously- the OP was in a win-win situation either way. I will kill to be in a situation such as his/her. Best of luck!

boston is a GREAT city. i live here. sure, it gets cold, but it also gets warm too!

good luck. :)

Last edited: