Stony Brook (IS) v. Touro v. Buffalo (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PearlyWhites13

Reaction score
Help me decide:
Touro:
-Good vibes from the students; they seem happy and well supported there. This is the biggest draw for me.
-Touro's facilities are new and impressive.
-Close to home.
-Would cost about $150,000 more than Stony Brook over 4 years

Stony:
-Great school in every way, but mostly concerned about combined curriculum - medical school students and dental school students in same classes.
-Small class size (about 50) not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing, academically and socially.
-State school tuition is a major draw here.
-Close to home

Buffalo:

-Great interview experience, students seem happy.
-State school tuition.
-But 6 hours from home, and cold winters.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be snarky and ask if NYC winters are truly balmy. :)

Take the state school tuition. I also presume Buffalo doesn't have issues with getting patient experience?
Buffalo has good clinical experience through clinic on campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Help me decide:
Touro:
-Good vibes from the students; they seem happy and well supported there. This is the biggest draw for me.
-Touro's facilities are new and impressive.
-Close to home.
-Would cost about $150,000 more than Stony Brook over 4 years

Stony:
-Great school in every way, but mostly concerned about combined curriculum - medical school students and dental school students in same classes.
-Small class size (about 50) not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing, academically and socially.
-State school tuition is a major draw here.
-Close to home

Buffalo:

-Great interview experience, students seem happy.
-State school tuition.
-But 6 hours from home, and cold winters.
touro is a hard no
they doubled the class last year with no warning, and well after decision day
there are reports that they selected people without interviews (see last year's thread)
facilities/staff were designed for 100 and they suddenly added 100 more

yup, close to home, cheap, small class size, med school curriculum...
What would be the benefit of med school curriculum to a dental student - is it unnecessarily challenging or higher fail rate etc?

What would be the benefit of med school curriculum to a dental student - is it unnecessarily challenging or higher fail rate etc?
If you are bound for OMFS, you have to prepare for USMLE as well as CBSE. Learning what medical students learn is really necessary for doing well on those exams (from what I know).