endoderm, mesoderm, ectoderm, mesenchyme....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rose7430

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm studying for my NBDE1 and I'm confused about the relationship between ectoderm, mesenchyme and mesectoderm. I believe endoderm and mesoderm are completely separate from these 3 I just listed..... (not sure again). Could anyone shed any light on this? Especially the relationship between ectoderm, mesenchyme and mesectoderm. Thank you so much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Ectomesenchyme is neural crest cells that undergo ectoderm-mesenchymal transition. They originate from ectoderm but then act as mesenchymal and form all perts of the tooth bud except for enamel, which comes from ectoderm.

Of course the 3 std germ layers are formed during gastrulation and migration of cells through the primitive node.

That's what I remember from oral histo off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm studying for my NBDE1 and I'm confused about the relationship between ectoderm, mesenchyme and mesectoderm. I believe endoderm and mesoderm are completely separate from these 3 I just listed..... (not sure again). Could anyone shed any light on this? Especially the relationship between ectoderm, mesenchyme and mesectoderm. Thank you so much! :)

Ectoderm is the germ layer that becomes the nervous system and basically all of the parts of a human you can physically see w/ the eye.
Mesenchyme are just cells that are motile ( vs epithelial that are stationary). Basically the cells that are stationary turn genes on that allow for mobility that way they can migrate and differentiate into different types of cells.
And the above poster is spot on with the other terms.