This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daein13threat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. For those of you like me who are planning on taking NBDE Part 2 before it is discontinued and replaced by the INDBE, I wanted to share my personal experience with the exam, including details on how I passed on my first attempt!

Resources (everything I used is included in this list):
1. NBDE Part 2 Mastery App - this was my primary resource for ~80-90% of my study prep. I went through it once and was scoring in the mid 60s, then went through it again a second time and increased my score to the high 90s.
2. Mental Dental YouTube Videos - if I counted correctly, there were 133 total videos on this channel for Part 2. I wasn’t even close to watching all of them. I only watched the videos on my weakest subjects from the mastery app, the top 3 being pharmacology, oral surgery, and patient management.
3. Tuft’s Pharmacology Review - this was an excellent summary of high yield pharmacology topics covered on Part 2. I reviewed it probably a week before the exam, which was more than enough time. For me personally, this covered a great deal of the pharmacology questions I saw on the actual exam and helped me with my weakest subject.

Study Time:
I studied off and on for about 2 months and didn’t stress or grind much at all the week or two leading up to the exam. This is why I enjoyed the mastery app, because it didn’t really feel like I was studying when I had a few minutes of free time throughout my day to do several questions. I recommend starting earlier than most people recommend, which only saves some headache later on and allows time to re-charge before the exam. On another note, my results took exactly 2 weeks from Day 1 to post to my DENTPIN account.

About Me:
I might have been the first person in my dental class to take Part 2 a few days before starting my 4th year. This made me slightly nervous since I was basically the guinea pig, but definitely worth it in the end. I didn’t want to worry about the exam during my last year of school and now have more time to plan for graduation requirements and residency applications.

I hope this has been helpful to whoever reads it. Please feel free to ask questions in the comments. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Enjoyed the review you wrote; I'm taking the NBDE 2 this September and pretty much have the same study materials set for in my study plan. Did you use Mosby's as a reference; if at all? Thanks, and congrats on wrapping up that exam.

Were the Mental Dental videos and Mastery app questions actual high yields questions? I've spent most of my time using these two resources as well, but my classmates advised me to just memorize the previously published boards questions (aka TQ's), so I'm just worried that I'm not using my time efficiently :(

I went through mastery app (60% first time through), tufts farm, and occasional Kaplan Q bank. Studied 4 weeks at night after clinic. Passed. Much easier than part 1

Members don't see this ad :)
Enjoyed the review you wrote; I'm taking the NBDE 2 this September and pretty much have the same study materials set for in my study plan. Did you use Mosby's as a reference; if at all? Thanks, and congrats on wrapping up that exam.
Thanks! I never used Mosby’s

Were the Mental Dental videos and Mastery app questions actual high yields questions? I've spent most of my time using these two resources as well, but my classmates advised me to just memorize the previously published boards questions (aka TQ's), so I'm just worried that I'm not using my time efficiently :(
I’m not 100% certain, but I believe the Mastery App questions are actually based on old released exam questions. Or at least I saw some overlap when I looked at an old exam. I thought the app and mental dental videos were very high yield.