Energy slump

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OpalOnyx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ever have days where there is an energy slump which can be tough to shake off? Ideas on how to deal with it/boost energy?

I'm sure there is a food intake/sleep correlation (eating the right foods and getting the optimum amount of sleep (not too much or little)).

Members don't see this ad.

Exercise is important too... I've also recently found that reading while walking at a slight speed and incline on the treadmill is incredibly effective at keep me awake and focused...

Members don't see this ad :)
Paroxetine 20 mg 1 tab PO qd until day of graduation, then taper for 2 wks to d/c

Ever have days where there is an energy slump which can be tough to shake off? Ideas on how to deal with it/boost energy?

I'm sure there is a food intake/sleep correlation (eating the right foods and getting the optimum amount of sleep (not too much or little)).

I definitely advocate "crap days." Especially if you have trouble getting going and you know its going to be a useless day, I just say screw it. Sleep. I've definitely been there, and unless there is something mandatory for me to do, I will veg on the couch, play some Call of Duty, watch multiple movies, all the while saying to myself "i probably should be more productive."

Here's the thing: without relaxation and do-nothing days your body and your mind will burn out.

Of course, if you are having multiple days in a row like this, then its time to look at your lifestyle. Exercise more, sleep more, eat better. Avoid Nicotine and Caffeine to power you through. Addiction and empty calories are a bitch. Although i suppose if you drink coke for the boost and smoke cigarretes to avoid eating anything else, you net only addiction...

Get those endorphins pumping! Alternatively, get some more sleep - no point in forcing yourself to be up attempting to study, when your body just needs some R&R...that just leads to inefficient studying.

YMMV, but the #1 factor impacting my energy level is my midday dietary intake. I have trended toward smaller and lower fat lunchtime meals, because I find I get very sleepy with a high-fat meal during the day. I try and eat a big breakfast (fruit, toast, and yogurt/granola) every day, then a small lunch (salad or a very light sandwich), then a larger meal late in the day after I'm finished with most of my work.

I also drink a pot (~6-7 cups) of coffee QAM and 3-4 diet cokes in the afternoon, so that may have something to do with it.

When I'm studying and have a need for a quick pick-me-up, I usually go for sugar-free energy drinks or coffee. If things are really severe (studying for a final) and I need some serious energy, I'll drop two pseudoephedrine tabs with a can of cola, but if you're not careful it can really make you feel strung out and not help your energy level.

As an alternative, do what some 10% of my class has already done in M1: get diagnosed with ADD by a shady FP and get some ritalin for those tough study days. It's amazing how many people made it through a challenging ugrad curriculum with straight As and suddenly have ADD probs in med school when they're not in the top 10% :rolleyes:.