Rotations draining me of energy - how to get better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139416

I’ve recently had IM with surgery back to back. Both rotations are 80 hour work weeks with a crazy schedule and waking up super early before 5AM. On top of that I’m constantly studying for the shelf, which I don’t do well on anyways. I barely get to exercise or spend time with family. I’m just worried that the rest of my life will be like this.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends if you’re doing residency in either.

For the most part, IM hours aren’t usually that bad. But Gen Surg, absolutely.

You kind of just need to tough it out. I remember when I was a student I had to do 12d straight of an IM rotation and by the end of it I was literally dead. Came home at the end of day 12 and just passed out on my couch for like 4 hours.

I’ve recently had IM with surgery back to back. Both rotations are 80 hour work weeks with a crazy schedule and waking up super early before 5AM. On top of that I’m constantly studying for the shelf, which I don’t do well on anyways. I barely get to exercise or spend time with family. I’m just worried that the rest of my life will be like this.

Rest of your life? Likely not even close unless you end up in particular specialties/jobs.

Sounds like your school has particularly brutal clerkships cuz neither of my IM/surg clerkships were anything close to 80hrs/wk. Surprised you didn't at least get a few chiller blocks like IM subspecialty, outpatient IM or a chill surgical specialty.

There will definitely be tough periods in your training (and attendinghood) moving forward, but for the most part they'll be temporary unless you chose to be a trauma surgeon in a county hospital or an interventional cardiologist.

Members don't see this ad :)
The "good" news: you'll get used to it. It's like getting in shape physically; running a mile is tough until you do it every day for a year.

The actual good news: it won't always be like this.

Reactions: 2 users
Rest of your life? Likely not even close unless you end up in particular specialties/jobs.

Sounds like your school has particularly brutal clerkships cuz neither of my IM/surg clerkships were anything close to 80hrs/wk. Surprised you didn't at least get a few chiller blocks like IM subspecialty, outpatient IM or a chill surgical specialty.

There will definitely be tough periods in your training (and attendinghood) moving forward, but for the most part they'll be temporary unless you chose to be a trauma surgeon in a county hospital or an interventional cardiologist.

The "good" news: you'll get used to it. It's like getting in shape physically; running a mile is tough until you do it every day for a year.

The actual good news: it won't always be like this.

Thanks for the support guys. I had a couple chiller blocks earlier in the year but those were electives. These are the core clerkships and they've been brutal. My IM rotation was a q4 admitting service and we were expected to be in the hospital whenever the residents were in the hospital which came out to about 90 hours per week since I only got 2 days off in a 25 day period.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
IDK what the norm is, but consistent 80 hour weeks sounds kind of brutal for clerkships. You're **paying** to be there, and you're there to learn. There's a point of diminishing returns somewhere in there, where I'd hope your preceptors would say something like "hey HipiMochi, I think you've seen enough patients today. Why don't you get out of here and go enjoy your afternoon, and read up on HFrEF tonight so we can talk about that tomorrow".

Are any of those 80 hours downtime where you're doing "on the job studying", like reading up about diagnosis and treatment of a disease, or are you just running around seeing patients nonstop, writing notes, etc?

Have you thought about talking to your preceptors or program coordinator/director about the hours? I would hope if you were pleasant and honest and vulnerable in voicing how you're feeling a little overwhelmed and fatigued and that you're struggling to find balance, they'd be responsive to some degree. Maybe something like "I wanted to pick your brain on ways to be more effective with balancing clinical time with studying. I'm having a hard time putting in 80 hours of clinical time and still having the brainpower to study effectively on top of that. I've tried [x,y,z] to stay organized and healthy, but I still feel like I'm struggling. What recommendations do you have on making sure I get the best clinical exposure while still facilitating my learning?" Or directly ask "What's the expectation for the number of patients/cases I should be seeing at this point and how many clinical hours vs hours studying and pre-reading charts at home?".

Definitely a careful balance with who and how you ask since you don't want to come off as not wanting to put in the work, but I think it's also quite fair and not at all a bad look to be inquiring about how to manage things better and learn more effectively. It shows self awareness and desire to improve. The more you take initiative with your learning, the more receptive your preceptors will probably be to let you out early because they'll know you're going to go home and put in more work.

Isn't this a violation? Or does that not apply to students...our school follows ACGME guidelines
I would be surprised if this was not violation even for medical school. As I stated above, the longest we at my school would ever work in a row was 12 days. Then we would have 2 off. This was a mandatory limit that everyone from student to attending knew.

Sounds like a couple of brutal back to back rotations. My M3 started similarly and was pretty intense. The rest of the year was a LOT easier!

As to whether it’s like that forever, it depends on too many factors. It can be but it doesn’t have to be. You do need to be proactive and possibly make some tough choices to have the lifestyle you want though. In residency it’s mostly about the field and the specific program you end up in. It’s possible to find good situations but you’ll need to ask good questions and do your due diligence.

As for when you’re an attending, For me this is a constant battle and I’m still feeling it out. The inevitable issue is that your time is what earns you or your employer money, so there will always be some trade off. Currently I’ve got my schedule down to 8-1 on clinic days and 7-4 on OR days. When this works out as planned life is sweet. But then inevitably things get added on, urgent cases show up on your doorstep, and other docs reach out asking for help. You want to care for patients, especially if you have a highly specialized skill set, and you want/need to develop great relationships with your colleagues and referring docs. In the beginning this definitely means saying yes to those Friday afternoon emergent transfers and the like.

So for me now when the add ins are few life is amazing and I’m home by 3 most days. The catch is that I’m forgoing some additional income in exchange for quality of life. But then when it’s rough it can quickly hit the 60-80 mark. I’m in an employed model so now do get paid a lot more when I’m busy, which does take the sting out a little.

If you’re in solo or small group private, then any time off you’re basically paying to take since many of your fixed costs are there. Depending on the details, it may cost anywhere from $1-2k per day to run your practice, so any days off you’re basically taking out a loan that you’ll have to pay back on your working days. It’s hard to strike the perfect balance.

Isn't this a violation?
I would be surprised if this was not violation even for medical school.
2 days off in 25 days isn't an ACGME violation; if it were, the gold/black weekend model in residency (12 days on/2 off) wouldn't work.

Also, almost positive there are no rules for students. In terms of hours, the longest four week block I ever worked (med school or residency) was OBGYN, which was 360-370 hours for the month.

Spend your time on clerkships studying so when you're home you have to do minimal. Realize (on surgery) there's probably noone tracking you... long lunches, study breaks, "I'm gonna go check out this OR" oh no I accidentally walked out the front door at 3pm... if you think it can work for you go for it. If there's no expectation for you to stick around the floors after rounds, it's likely you aren't being watched too closely.

Spend your time on clerkships studying so when you're home you have to do minimal. Realize (on surgery) there's probably noone tracking you... long lunches, study breaks, "I'm gonna go check out this OR" oh no I accidentally walked out the front door at 3pm... if you think it can work for you go for it. If there's no expectation for you to stick around the floors after rounds, it's likely you aren't being watched too closely.

This is extremely high yield

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
That's why you have to make sure you don't get caught
It has been said that the very best criminals are the ones we don’t hear about: they don’t get caught.