Engineer to Postbacc premed questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wandering-yogi

Reaction score
Hi,
I am 3 years out of college with an BS in Electrical and Computer Engineering and gpa of 3.15. Taken Chem I, and Calculus I and II.

Over the past three years, I've been getting a pull towards medicine. It started my senior year of college with wanting my Wilderness First Aide (WFA) certification to make sure my friends felt safe when going on backpacking and rock climbing trips. I felt responsible to be this role but never questioned why until this year. After taking the course, I ended up wanting to get my Wilderness First Responder. But that went to the back burner, as I went through 3 differnet tech jobs, looking for something that would make me happy in tech. Earlier this year, I was asked if I wanted to help assist with a WFA course for the Boy Scouts and remembered how much I loved the course and learning the information. I decided to pursue a passion of mine to become a yoga teacher and help guide students through meditations and feel good in their bodies. Through which I found that I love anatomy and working with people. I decided to get a certification in Personal training as a way to fill my desire to help others face to face. But what I found was a drive to learn more about medicine and chronic diseases. I am also thinking about getting an MPH for this reason also.
I've been shadowing an MD in the family and have been actively applying for volunteer positions at a few local hospitals.

My questions are:
1. Should I apply for a postbacc program? Or do I have too many prerequisites and should try for a diy post bacc?
2. Would I qualify as a career changer or an academic enhacer?
3. I am considering applying to an EMT program because of my Wilderness First/ Aide and responder, but should I prioritize EMT training over delaying to applying for postbacc programs?
4. Is my GPA too low to be competitive for a post bacc?

Also for background on my gpa, I struggled with a lot of my Electrical courses because I was trying to juggle too much between extra curricular and a part time job. Time management is something that I constantly try to improve upon especially as I am thinking about going back to school.

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO don't waste your money with a formal post bacc. Enroll as a degree seeking student at your local state school. This will enable you to have priority enrollment as a "super senior" due to the amount of credits you have, but don't finish the degree. Take your pre-reqs, do well, and be done. I went the state school route and it was a good decision for me. I really enjoyed my time there. Don't delay for EMT training... everyone does EMT. If you struggle with time management, perhaps you should focus on school the first few semesters. You have a long road. If you need income, EMT or scribing or some sort of clinical work is fine, but not crucial. Just make sure you get clinical experience in some form or another. Your GPA needs some work, but the goal is to do well now, not raise the one you have. Make good grades in your pre-reqs.

Reactions: 1 users