1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Engineering background

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by trent, Mar 27, 2004.

1. trent

trent Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Just curious, is an engineering background helpful for dental school? Any other engineers out there? My undergrad degree was mechanical engineering.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 3rdMolarRoller

3rdMolarRoller User Account Deleted
    7+ Year Member

Will it get you in, yes. Will it be helpful in dental school...probably not.

Here is my observation in D-school. The students that have a Bio related degree's study less and make better grades. They were exposed to this material before so its easier to pick up. I have a friend with a business degree and he studies a lot. He makes good grades, but man he really studies.

I have a Biology degree and already took bio-chem, anatomy, physiology, histology...etc so it comes easier to me and I have much more free time.

A good thing for you is that engineering is not an easy degree and adcoms know this...so that will be helpful

Best of luck to you

4. GTchick

GTchick Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think an engineering degree is useful. Dental materials made a lot more sense to me than some of my friends because I already knew all the terminology from materials science classes. Plus engineers (at least at my undergrad) had to put in a lot more time than other majors and so you won't find it strange to be in the preclinic after hours or on a weekend.

Sometimes I wish that I had taken classes like anatomy beforehand though. It is a different way of thinking than I was used to.