Engineering background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trent

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, is an engineering background helpful for dental school? Any other engineers out there? My undergrad degree was mechanical engineering.

Members don't see this ad.

Will it get you in, yes. Will it be helpful in dental school...probably not.

Here is my observation in D-school. The students that have a Bio related degree's study less and make better grades. They were exposed to this material before so its easier to pick up. I have a friend with a business degree and he studies a lot. He makes good grades, but man he really studies.

I have a Biology degree and already took bio-chem, anatomy, physiology, histology...etc so it comes easier to me and I have much more free time.

A good thing for you is that engineering is not an easy degree and adcoms know this...so that will be helpful

Best of luck to you

I think an engineering degree is useful. Dental materials made a lot more sense to me than some of my friends because I already knew all the terminology from materials science classes. Plus engineers (at least at my undergrad) had to put in a lot more time than other majors and so you won't find it strange to be in the preclinic after hours or on a weekend.

Sometimes I wish that I had taken classes like anatomy beforehand though. It is a different way of thinking than I was used to.