1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This Wednesday we're hosting our first-ever Instagram takeover with UF College of Dentistry student, Carson. Follow @studentdoctornetwork on Instagram to get a glimpse of life as a D1, ask questions and more!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Engineering background

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by trent, Mar 27, 2004.

1. trent

trent Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Just curious, is an engineering background helpful for dental school? Any other engineers out there? My undergrad degree was mechanical engineering.

2. 3rdMolarRoller

3rdMolarRoller User Account Deleted
    7+ Year Member

Will it get you in, yes. Will it be helpful in dental school...probably not.

Here is my observation in D-school. The students that have a Bio related degree's study less and make better grades. They were exposed to this material before so its easier to pick up. I have a friend with a business degree and he studies a lot. He makes good grades, but man he really studies.

I have a Biology degree and already took bio-chem, anatomy, physiology, histology...etc so it comes easier to me and I have much more free time.

A good thing for you is that engineering is not an easy degree and adcoms know this...so that will be helpful

Best of luck to you

3. GTchick

GTchick Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think an engineering degree is useful. Dental materials made a lot more sense to me than some of my friends because I already knew all the terminology from materials science classes. Plus engineers (at least at my undergrad) had to put in a lot more time than other majors and so you won't find it strange to be in the preclinic after hours or on a weekend.

Sometimes I wish that I had taken classes like anatomy beforehand though. It is a different way of thinking than I was used to.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...