Engineering to Dental Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Local_Brown_man

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Y'all, I'll try to make this as short as possible. So, I always knew I wanted to do something in heatlh since I was in Middle school and after shadowing multiple Dentist in high school this became my career goal. After doing 1.5 years of prereqs my parents forced me to change my major to engineering (Computer Science). They were paying for everything so I guess they thought they should have control over what I study. As I'm getting close to graduating, I am expecting my overall gpa to be around 3.35 and idk my science (prob around 2.7 because of advanced math, programming, and physics). I know I will still have to take O chem, Bio Chem, A&P and maybe Psychology. I'm aiming for a 22 DAT will that be enough for me to have a chance? I'll apply to all schools if that's what it takes, I don't want money to be a stopping factor. I have played an instrument for more than 10+ years so I do think I have good dexterity in my hands. Any info is Much Appreciated!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Y'all, I'll try to make this as short as possible. So, I always knew I wanted to do something in heatlh since I was in Middle school and after shadowing multiple Dentist in high school this became my career goal. After doing 1.5 years of prereqs my parents forced me to change my major to engineering (Computer Science). They were paying for everything so I guess they thought they should have control over what I study. As I'm getting close to graduating, I am expecting my overall gpa to be around 3.35 and idk my science (prob around 2.7 because of advanced math, programming, and physics). I know I will still have to take O chem, Bio Chem, A&P and maybe Psychology. I'm aiming for a 22 DAT will that be enough for me to have a chance? I'll apply to all schools if that's what it takes, I don't want money to be a stopping factor. I have played an instrument for more than 10+ years so I do think I have good dexterity in my hands. Any info is Much Appreciated!!!!
You're asking a question that's really hard to answer. You have a low science GPA that's going to hurt you, however getting a 22 or higher on the DAT would be a plus. The main issue is what the other students, you're competing against has, and that info you don't know.

For example, the first year I applied I had a high GPA overall and in science, but I had a low DAT of 17. I was waitlisted at my state school, because my competition had only slightly higher stats than what I had. The following year I had the same stats, but everyone else applying had higher stats, so I was flat out denied by my state school. Since your competition changes from year to year, and you don't know if they are higher or lower than you, no one is able to give you an accurate answer. The best you can do is apply and keep your fingers crossed.

I have a background in CS and I found that actually helped me at interviews since it was different from most other applicants. I think if you can find a way to integrate that into your PS and interviews, if given the chance, will help set you apart. However, your science GPA is going to be difficult to overcome without a good DAT score and even that may not help. If you can get A's in O chem, biochem, and A&P that'll help bring it up a bit and if ADCOMs look over your transcript, they'll see you can do well in the pre-req science classes for dental school. AADSAS also has a BCP (bio/chem/physics) GPA that ADCOMs can reference. If that is strong then I think you had a good shot since it shows your sGPA is mainly dragged down by the math and programming courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a background in CS and I found that actually helped me at interviews since it was different from most other applicants. I think if you can find a way to integrate that into your PS and interviews, if given the chance, will help set you apart. However, your science GPA is going to be difficult to overcome without a good DAT score and even that may not help. If you can get A's in O chem, biochem, and A&P that'll help bring it up a bit and if ADCOMs look over your transcript, they'll see you can do well in the pre-req science classes for dental school. AADSAS also has a BCP (bio/chem/physics) GPA that ADCOMs can reference. If that is strong then I think you had a good shot since it shows your sGPA is mainly dragged down by the math and programming courses.
Awesome, thanks for your input!! Would you say it matters if I get my prerequisites from a community college?

Awesome, thanks for your input!! Would you say it matters if I get my prerequisites from a community college?
I don't think so but I'm not on an admissions committee. Not all dental schools accept CC credits though so be sure to consider that when applying.

The best you can do is apply and keep your fingers crossed
Stumbled on this thread and thought i'd share my experience with you as I have a similar background.

I am a nontrad. applicant changing from engineering. I have a 3.0 overall, 3.1 sGPA, 3.9 post-bach GPA, and 21 on the DAT.

My encouragement to you is that I have interviewed at 2 of the 4 Texas schools that I applied to so far this cycle. It is not a complete success story yet since the cycle is not over and I have not yet heard back from schools I interviewed with, but I just wanted to encourage you that it is possible to at least land an interview. Additionally, I have met a few students / dentists who encouraged me that had applied with slightly worse stats than mine and were accepted after several cycles. Like MLC45 said in the quote above, the best you can do is apply and cross your fingers. You will need to make up for the low science GPA in other areas of the application (i.e. getting A's in remaining pre-reqs and doing well on the DAT), but it is possible. I also think having an engineering background helped me in the application and interviews and will help you as well. Those programs teach problem solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail, which are all important aspects in dentistry.

I think doing pre-reqs after graduating helped me by giving a separate (higher) GPA from my undergrad engineering coursework. It may be beneficial for you to do your remaining pre-reqs after graduating with your CS degree to get that separate post-bach GPA as well.

Otherwise, just make sure you have a well-rounded application, highlight your accomplishments, and what you've done to overcome the C.S. GPA in your personal statement (i.e. making A's in remaining pre-reqs, high DAT score, volunteer / extracurricular / job experience, etc). Then apply and keep your fingers crossed ;).

Best of luck to you