Engineering Research - MD/PhD Applicant Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

regeneration

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
sounds like you're fine. you have all the background necessary. Just make sure you want to do medicine because medicine involves none of the critical thinking and analysis that you enjoy as a engineer... speaking as a former engineer.

Are you interested in doing this type of research for your PhD portion of the MD/PhD? If so, you're definitely fine; I would only be worried if you were thinking you were more interested in basic science strictly instead of engineering, but even then I think you've probably demonstrated aptitude for critical thinking and analysis. Lots of programs that I've interviewed at have a large number of faculty focusing on imaging, so you should definitely be able to find a place that will fit your research interests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your responses!

I'm not strictly interested in imaging, but rather think it's a useful technique to investigate the disease that I'm studying. I'm interested in the studying the same disease (or at least around the same field) for my PhD, but maybe through different means that I've read about/brainstormed about but haven't had a chance to apply yet. I suppose for the purposes of my application, it would be best to say that I want to focus on applying imaging in my PhD research?

I'm not strictly interested in imaging, but rather think it's a useful technique to investigate the disease that I'm studying. I'm interested in the studying the same disease (or at least around the same field) for my PhD, but maybe through different means that I've read about/brainstormed about but haven't had a chance to apply yet.

I'd recommend saying this on your application. There's no need to sound more committed to something specific than you really are.

Hello! I am also an engineer aspiring for an MD/PhD in engineering. I recently posted my questions in the "Nontraditional Applicants" forum (Engineer to MD/PhD in Engineering), and would greatly appreciate insights and feedback from the "Physician Scientists" forum as well. Feel free to PM me as well if that is more comfortable for anyone. Thank you in advance!