Upper level engineering courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mareau

Reaction score
I am in my last year of a biomedical engineering degree. I have already completed all my bio and chem prerequisites for dental school (as well as others like microbio and biochem), and now I am only taking upper level engineering classes required to complete my undergrad degree. These classes inlude a materials science class about ceramics and a polymeric biomaterials class, both of which relate to dentistry. Would dental schools care about these classes? I have the opportunity to seriously lighten my courseload by dropping one of these, but I don't want that to negatively impact my application. Thank you for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

IMO it does not matter if you drop a course that is not required for dental school so long as you still complete your degree. Especially if the academic part of your app is solid.

If they are required to complete your degree, then complete the degree. I DO think it would look bad if you did not finish the last few courses and did not receive a degree. Every situation is different, but from what you’ve said, I highly recommend toughing it out for one more semester.

did you apply this cycle? I would reach out to schools you applied to and ask if you can drop an upper level science if you put it down in your aadsas as a planned course; some schools review your app again and could revoke a conditional acceptance/interview.

if you didn't apply, it doesn't matter if you take one less engineering course.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a BME that dropped after Sophmore year, So you will be fine dropping those courses.

did you apply this cycle? I would reach out to schools you applied to and ask if you can drop an upper level science if you put it down in your aadsas as a planned course; some schools review your app again and could revoke a conditional acceptance/interview.

if you didn't apply, it doesn't matter if you take one less engineering course.
Thank you for your response. I am applying this cycle and listed these courses as "Planned / In Progress." I would be replacing the dropped course with another upper level engineering course that I didn't list as planned. You touched on the reason for my original question; if I replace a materials class (which could relate to dentistry) with another engineering class, would schools be likely to revoke interviews etc?

Thank you for your response. I am applying this cycle and listed these courses as "Planned / In Progress." I would be replacing the dropped course with another upper level engineering course that I didn't list as planned. You touched on the reason for my original question; if I replace a materials class (which could relate to dentistry) with another engineering class, would schools be likely to revoke interviews etc?
yea you will be fine as long as you have the same number of science courses completed as you planned on taking; schools just don't want to see you drop a bunch after getting an acceptance.

I really don't think that would affect anything at all in your application tbh. I think the bare minimum is that it would help you in a dental materials course while IN dental school already. In terms of admission ... take the easier course. Engineers are already a rarity in the dental application pool so no need to push yourself even further.

I took a material science course in undergrad and I don't think it will help at all in dental school. Maybe your school offers a better course, but in my experience, it was wasted time and effort lol.