English community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medrocks47

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking a semester of English at community college. Will this be okay? Whenever I go to Med School websites and look at their prereqs, they always say "We accept CC courses, but we highly recommend taking courses in a 4-yr institution." That sounds like they don't like CC courses. Should I still take the english at CC? The reason I don't want to take it at my 4yr school is because we don't have an -English- department, and the required Writing courses are ridiculous. It's impossible to do well in there, because the TAs are encouraged to grade low. Only 3% get an A in these writing classes. I don't like spending a week on my essay and then getting a low grade not because my work was bad, but because the department has a quota for each grade letter....

Members don't see this ad.

It's fine IF you have a good reason.

The reason you gave, though, is about as bad as it gets. That's the reason that CC classes taken while you're a student at a 4 year college tend to raise eyebrows. Also, don't assume that a CC English class is necessarily going to be easier. The absolutely most difficultly graded course I ever took was a CC English course under a professor who greeted us with the proclamation that, in her eyes, freshmen were not capable of producing "A" level work. She did not believe in "A's".

You do also have to have permission from your 4 year in order to have those classes take the place of their writing intensive courses.

Yeah, my 4-Yr allows for English classes at CC to replace their own writing courses. You say I have to have a good reason: Will they ask me this in the interview? If you want to know, my main reason is that I am a good writer, but this department is known to grade harshly if you do not adhere to their -golden idea- of a perfect paper. I just don't like how the grading is done in our department. How can only 30 out of 1000 kids (3%) know how to write a proper essay... considering we are all smart enough to get into the school. Oh yeah, I don't expect CC english to be easy. I just expect it to be more fair :) despite that one prof you had.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, my 4-Yr allows for English classes at CC to replace their own writing courses. You say I have to have a good reason: Will they ask me this in the interview? If you want to know, my main reason is that I am a good writer, but this department is known to grade harshly if you do not adhere to their -golden idea- of a perfect paper. I just don't like how the grading is done in our department. How can only 30 out of 1000 kids (3%) know how to write a proper essay... considering we are all smart enough to get into the school. Oh yeah, I don't expect CC english to be easy. I just expect it to be more fair :) despite that one prof you had.

Some may ask because it will stand out. That doesn't mean they will ask, or even that they will care. :) If they do, you will want to give them a convincing reason besides the one you stated here.

BTW - I did wind up with an "A" in that class, but I could never be sure of getting anything higher than a "D" until she submitted the grades. That single "A" will probably wind up being my greatest victory in my college years. It was that bad.

Quite honestly, I would take the writing requirements at a community college. And I would check out the potential professor's ratings on all of those sites.

Vindictive graders in humanities classes are not worth it. If you have a decent GPA and can pump out a good score on the MCAT's verbal section, people wont bat eyes.