English courses and Reference letters!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Handsome88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Two questions:

1) I am from Canada and planning on applying to medical schools this summer. In our province English is not a requirement, however it is for most of the American Med-Schools. That is why I have not taken English (yet). However I have taken many history classes which require an extensive writing, and I have taken a Proffesional Writing course (however was not under the English department and the course code does not include ENG). Should I take English this year, even though I am applying during this summer?

2) I do not know anyone who would write me a reference letter from the science department. However there are several from History, Religion, Geography and Language departments that may be able to fill out the numerous reference letters that I need to to be filled out (since I am applying to both Canada and US schools). Also I know one Family doctor that may be kind enough to fill out some reference letters for me. Are these good choices?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE HELP!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You are in no shape to apply this summer if you haven't fulfilled these requirements. Schools wants between 3-9 credit hours of english. You will also need 2-3 letters of recommendation from science teachers.

You are in no shape to apply this summer if you haven't fulfilled these requirements. Schools wants between 3-9 credit hours of english. You will also need 2-3 letters of recommendation from science teachers.

Agreed, I would pick up an MSAR book and check out the requirements of some of the different schools you're applying to. Some schools have different requirements (for classes and letters of rec). I was shocked when one of my top choices required a letter that I wasn't prepared to submit, and it severely delayed my application.

If I have to apply again (its looking that way, hahah) I will spend a few hours calling prospective schools (after you've narrowed down to a decent list) to get their requirements for letters of recommendation. Usually schools will have the classes they require in the MSAR or on their website. If you have any additional questions (e.g., Does my XYZ history class count as an english class due to ABC??), I would give the school a call, generally they're very nice to deal with.

Here is a link to the MSAR on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1577540727

Hope this helps!

Last edited: