Post-bacc for a 3.6? Did quite well on the MCAT (521). Okay to do online post-bacc with extension courses due to time and money constraints?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not very good at Physics (two B's) and Organic Chemistry (C!), which I took senior year because of the TA shortage during the pandemic. My GPA actually went down a bit. The overall trend is still a distinct V-shape. I am a super senior because of the pandemic issues and so it actually didn't decrease my senior year GPA too much. I formally graduate in July.

I go:

Freshman = 3.6
Sophomore = 3.1 (illness and stalker)
Junior = 3.8
Senior = 3.7 (I would think 3.8 to 3.7 is negligible. This is 60 credits on the senior GPA.)

I think it's possible I will need a post-bacc even with the 3.6 cGPA given my history (explained below) and the fact that the sGPA went down to 3.58 from 3.6. What do you think?

I have a concerning history with A LOT of full semester withdrawals, the most recent of which was Fall 2021 (extraordinarily poorly controlled epilepsy). I also have an F on my transcript for Gen Chem II sophomore year when I failed to make up an incomplete in time. (Stalker was a grad student and my neighbor. I got him in January. The incomplete was given in the fall and needed to be made up in the spring.) That's what makes me think I have to get at least to median matriculant GPA to prove myself.

I did really well on the MCAT (521). If possible, I would prefer to apply now because of score expiration. I have a lot less time than I did when I took it during the pandemic and don't think I could repeat that on retake.

If you think I need a post-bacc either now or in the event of a reapplication, would an online post-bacc with extension courses work? I live in the middle of nowhere and my 2.5 hour commute to the university these days would be incompatible with much employment. It would also be more expensive to do it at a regular university because you can only get Pell grants for a first bachelor's degree.

I really appreciate your help! :)

Take care,

RTC

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where is your state of residence ? Do you have any in person physician shadowing hours or clinical volunteering/employment with patient contact hours ? What about non clinical volunteering hours ?

Reactions: 1 user
Where is your state of residence ? Do you have any in person physician shadowing hours or clinical volunteering/employment with patient contact hours ? What about non clinical volunteering hours ?

Illinois. 1200 patient contact hours (all volunteer) and 65 in-person shadowing hours. 400 non-clinical volunteering hours. Plan to do Americorps during gap year (have yet to find a position, but admittedly have only applied 3 places because of school chaos. Going to apply to more after my last final on Friday.)

Is it better if I give specifics right now or is just hours fine?

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not need a post bacc with a cGPA of 3.6 and a sGPA of 3.55 . You are fine to apply in June and I suggest these schools:
Illinois
Southern Illinois
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Creighton
TCU
Tulane
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Miami
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
Einstein
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Belmont (when it opens)
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 users
You do not need a post bacc with a cGPA of 3.6 and a sGPA of 3.55 . You are fine to apply in June and I suggest these schools:
Illinois
Southern Illinois
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Creighton
TCU
Tulane
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Miami
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
Einstein
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Belmont (when it opens)
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

You're always so helpful. :) Thank you so much! :)

Reactions: 1 users