English Pre-Req...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qw098

zyzzbrah
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I know most universities require the: full year of physics, chemistry, biology, organic chemistry (all with labs) and English.

I haven't taken a course called English 111 or whatever the number would be. I have however taken two courses which are deemed writing components. They were Philosophy 1101, and a second year psych course. These coruses were both three credit hours each.

Would these writing component courses, denoted [W], be an acceptable replacement for the generic English 111?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys,

I know most universities require the: full year of physics, chemistry, biology, organic chemistry (all with labs) and English.

I haven't taken a course called English 111 or whatever the number would be. I have however taken two courses which are deemed writing components. They were Philosophy 1101, and a second year psych course. These coruses were both three credit hours each.

Would these writing component courses, denoted [W], be an acceptable replacement for the generic English 111?
If you ask schools for permission to substitute writing-intensive classes from another department, there is a good chance the answer will be yes. But don't make that assumption. Call or email.

This same exact question has been asked three times this week.

The other thread is still on the same page.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you exempt that class with a placement test? Also, high Verbal and Writing scores might indicate you have a solid grasp on the English language.

Nice thanks guys.

I saw your post on the other thread pkwraith. Thanks for the notice.

Seems like I am fine with taking my two writing component classes instead of a pure english department class.

x

Last edited:
Sorry to post such a similar question but what are the chances that schools will allow a science class to fulfill the writing requirement? I'm currently taking Virology and that class counts towards the writing requirement for graduation (it's basically a scientific writing class).

Oh, and do you have to finish the prereqs before you apply or just by the time you matriculate? Thanks!

Sorry to post such a similar question but what are the chances that schools will allow a science class to fulfill the writing requirement? I'm currently taking Virology and that class counts towards the writing requirement for graduation (it's basically a scientific writing class.
"The chances" are both unknown and irrelevant since you'll need to find out about specific schools' policies.