Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

English requirement

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Dr Trek 1, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Dr Trek 1

Dr Trek 1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    On my official AACOM transcript, it has only 4 credits listed officially as "English." However, my school has upper level writing classes for some classes in your major, so for instance I have 6 credits for a Psychology class that is labeled "Psych 301W", the "W" standing for upper level writing. But the class is listed as a behavioral sciences class.

Now I figured adcoms would understand this, but I just got a letter from NYCOM saying that I am missing 2 credits of English. I am going to call and hopefully they will understand that my 6 W credits should count as English, but I am afraid that other schools will question me on this as well.

Does anyone else not have the full 6 credits listed as "English" classes but still fulfilled the 6 credit English minimum requirement?

Thanks!

2. supersash

supersash so what's an epitope?
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i think when they say english, they don't mean writing intensive classes. i think its closer to the definition of an english class in high school (maybe literature classes, or some gen ed english type classes).

to me, a writing class isnt really an english class. but thats just me.

i think if you call NYCOM though, and explain the situation it shouldnt be too big of a deal. good luck!

3. Dr. Gato

Dr. Gato Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I have the exact same problem. I was accepted to KCUMB and they told me I needed to take another English class. I talked to them about it, and sent them info on the class and the requirements to be "writing intensive", they are reviewing it and I'm waiting to hear if it will count. KCOM, however, said that it would be fine, and if my school counts it, that's good enough for them. I would just try to talk to the school.

4. Dr Trek 1

Dr Trek 1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So I called NYCOM and they transfer me to the "associate director of admissions" and she was really friendly. I bsically told her that Interfolio already sent in my stuff, to which she replied, "Oh, yeah, I found it right here. Sorry about that." Next, I explained to her about my upper level writing credit and she said, "Oh, ok, that's fine then. You're all set."

Hahaha, I never thought it would be THAT easy. I was having nightmares about being forced to take another undergrad English class, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. bkpa2med

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Dr Trek, can you tell me your stats, if you'd like you can PM me. Im interested in NYCOM next cycle. Just curious what stats you had/mcat/ec's.

Thank you,
    Bill

6. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have two official English credits, so I haven't had any trouble with DO schools. However, OU, my one allopathic interview, requires three English courses. I took a class very similar to the one you took in that it was an upper-level writing intensive course, so I'm hoping they grant me credit for that.