English Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njshibby

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will absolutely diiiiiiiiiiie if i have to take an english class...not a big fan of the topics in the lower levels and english majors kinda scare me..do you know if med schools will look at Writing Requirement classes as english courses?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm with ya. I hated english in high school. However, lit courses are a bit different in college, in terms of what med schools consider "english". My Great Books course at Michigan fulfilled my writing/english requirement for my med school apps, and it was offered by the department of classical studies, not the dept of english. So there are ways around the requirements...but you may have to work harder in some of them than you would in a 100-level english class. I would highly recommend taking something like this if "English 101" isn't your thing. Plus it turned out to be one of my favorite classes of all time. :)

As far as I know, the class has to involve literature analysis and essay writing to count. So, dunno if your intro engl writing classes would count, but sounds like they might.

Members don't see this ad :)
Consider a critical analysis course offered through the English dept. Might be kinda fun.

schools i've called said they will accept my science writing intensive courses.

Clep out of some of your English requirements. I Clepped out of 2 of my English requirements. It hasn't been a problem and has never come up in any of my interviews.

yeah i think i should call up the schools to make sure...i'm a second semester senior (havent started apps) and am trying to decide whether i should take the course or not..if scientific writing or literary analysis count im golden
thanks for the help

you should stick to the standard english/writing department courses. slipping out of them to get your credits from a "writing in the sciences" class may look weird; especially if you get a low mcat writing score. they're going to look at your transcript to see if you can write at all. Maybe i'm just speculating, but after I told my premed advisor my writing score, she looked through my transcript for my writing classes. She said those B's are okay - and ended the whole writing discussion thing.

if you need help writing, go to a writing center. your university probably has one that is free and for everyone to use. they saved me from C-land numerous times. the writing requirement is a pain - just deal with it and you'll be fine.

njshibby said:
I will absolutely diiiiiiiiiiie if i have to take an english class...not a big fan of the topics in the lower levels and english majors kinda scare me..do you know if med schools will look at Writing Requirement classes as english courses?

Why are you not a fan of lower level topics? Do you think higher level writing courses are more in tune with your abilities? Take it as a opportunity to brush up on your writing skills - or take it as an opportunity to boost your gpa!