English requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moonmed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of schools that require or recommend a year of English. I have a semester of it, but am an International Studies major, meaning I've taken tons of social science classes and had to read and write extensively. Will these be sufficient proof that I'm literate? Or do the schools really want two semesters of English?

Members don't see this ad.

They want 2 semesters of english

The only acceptable exception to an English class (which really isn't an exception) would be Writing. Some schools, such as mine, offer courses like WR121 - English Composition, and ENG232 - Composition Techniques. Both would count as "English" classes.

'Writing Intensive' courses, such as the ones you suggested, would not count.

Members don't see this ad :)
you may want to speak with your pre-med advisor. Some schools may accept humanities and philosophy courses to suffice for the writing requirement.

moonmed said:
I've seen a lot of schools that require or recommend a year of English. I have a semester of it, but am an International Studies major, meaning I've taken tons of social science classes and had to read and write extensively. Will these be sufficient proof that I'm literate? Or do the schools really want two semesters of English?

Some schools are sticklers for the english department offerings. I know of places that didn't even count literature courses that were offered by other departments, notwithstanding the course description. Other schools are more flexible. If you are able to pick up another semester, it might pay to do so, or you risk having to take one over the summer post acceptance, which won't be the most fun way to spend your break.

Ask each school. Some of them will just be ok with writing-intensive courses, others won't take them, and others still need a letter from the head of the department (say, American Studies or Philosophy) in which you took the class that you want to use to fulfill the requirement.

I had to do that letter thing to apply to Cornell. That was the only school that really had any problem with me testing out of 4 semesters of college English.

browniegirl86 said:
Ask each school. Some of them will just be ok with writing-intensive courses, others won't take them, and others still need a letter from the head of the department (say, American Studies or Philosophy) in which you took the class that you want to use to fulfill the requirement.

I had to do that letter thing to apply to Cornell. That was the only school that really had any problem with me testing out of 4 semesters of college English.

ditto - ask each school. i just emailed descriptions of writing-intensive classes (on religious studies, one psychology) or had profs email about the courses for michigan and cornell. i think many schools are flexible, but you just have to find out from them specifically how they handle the situation.