English Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Centridot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so I'm pretty confused about the various English requirements i see from different med schools. I understand that every med school probably has slightly different requirements, but I don't really get what counts as one... if that made any sense at all. For example some say applicants need one full year of expository writing and others say a year of English composition. I'm signed up for a literature class dealing with modern literature, but it is offered through the English department. Would this count toward the one year of English/writing/composition? And also would a class dealing with fairy tales count toward the mentioned requirements as well?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Generally (from the two colleges I have attended) English is split into a few categories, including "English Composition & Reading" and "English Literature". Many students will be required to complete an English Composition class for their GenEd. (For me, it was English 101.) When med schools ask for one year of an English Composition class, this will fulfill that.

Expository writing is a type of writing that is used to explain the subject at hand. A research paper is expository writing. (And this will be used quite a bit in med school!) At both of my schools, we had a specific English Composition class titled "Expository Writing".

Unfortunately, a Literature class (a class involving fairy tales, myths, poetry, fiction, etc) would not fulfill these requirements. (Usually. There is always an exception.) These classes are geared toward analyzing materials and not creating materials.

If you're unsure, call the school and find out. I have credit for English 110 (intro writing) and a second writing course in the English department. I also took a philosophy class that was hardcore writing all the time. So I asked schools if these would meet the one-year requirement, and they pretty much said yes and worst-case scenario I have to submit a course description so they can accept it.

So just call, they're friendly at the admissions offices (for the most part).

I have taken two writing classes. They are not from the English department, but are named Writing 105 and 205. This would satisfy the English requirement, right?