Quantcast

English/writing requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarioKart

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I'm a bit confused about what constitutes as English/writing courses, which are required by the M.D. schools that I've been researching. I have a lot of AP credits from years ago, but I'm not sure med schools will take them, since they're not from University. Are gen. ed. classes (humanities, etc) or those with significant writing, like psychology or something, counted towards this, or should I sign up for English classes??? Thanks SDN!!

Doudline

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
AP credits' validity applies on a case-by-case basis. Go read the individual school guidelines.

In general, any class with a significant writing component is considered OK for the English requirement, therefore most of the humanities and theoretical social sciences classes will do.

Toutie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do consider that list is 8 years old and may or may not still be accurate.

member000000000

Reaction score
Some schools require 2 semesters of English. Even though I only took one semester, I had many writing intensive courses and the medical schools I applied to didn't have a problem with that. Just call/email the school and ask.