English/Writing Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thestudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking to gather some info on the English requirements for a few M.D. programs. I tried calling today, but they are all closed (most of them until January). My main questions are:

1) Do they accept AP credits?
2) What courses do they consider English/English Composition/English Literature? (Do they need the ENG? Can they be CPLT? If they have a writing designation does that also count? Can they be any humanities course?)

BU--English Composition or Literature (1 year)

Columbia--One year of English.

Duke--One year of college English or a writing course (So any course designated as a writing course would work here? Seems pretty obvious, but you never know with these things I guess...). Also, for the one semester Calculus requirements, do they accept AP credit (as long as the undergraduate university accepts it and puts it on the official transcript).

NYU--English—six semester hours (I am fairly certain that this can be any humanities course...I called a few months ago, but I just want to confirm that I remember correctly)

Harvard--Expository Writing: one year

Mount Sinai--I couldn't find their requirements page, so I am wondering about their English requirements. So if anyone has a link to this that would be great.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

1) If AP credits are shown on your transcripts most schools will accept them.

2) Dunno. I would assume any ENG class counts, but when you assume......

Probably any ENG would fulfill the requirements, but I'm wondering what else would (if anything else). My state school said that they only will accept an English composition or literature class. NYU said any humanities would be fine. I have taken a bunch of classes with a writing designation, and literature classes outside of the English department, but I'll probably just need to ask school to school to see if these courses actually count. I have one semester of AP English and I was thinking about taking a CPLT class next semester, but it's not very convenient for me. Hopefully by process of elimination I can decide not to take it. :thumbup:

2) Dunno. I would assume any ENG class counts, but when you assume......

Members don't see this ad :)
some schools specifically say that they do not accept AP credit for the english requirements. Unfortunately I can't just name those schools off the top of my head, but I do remember it was a fair amount of them.

I had a little difficulty with the English requirement. My undergrad let me pass out of the 2nd required english with a A- or better in the first english. However, several schools said that they do not accept this and I had to explain that some of my other courses were "writing intensive." (such as some history classes and philosophy class).

This explanation did not work with a couple of schools and my pre-med advisor wrote a letter explaining that I did a thesis and was capable of college writing.

If you look on the websites and the secondaries of the schools, it usually tells you what they accept for the English requirement.

Of the 30 schools I applied to, Vanderbilt was the only one that does not accept AP English credit. I don't think non-acceptance of AP coursework is all that common, especially when it comes to non-core (though admittedly crucial) coursework such as English...