1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

enough volunteer work and experience?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by SuzyQ, May 13, 2002.

1. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have been involved with a group called Campus Ministry at my University and I have participated in charities such as Focus Hope, Gleaners Food Bank, Pro-life functions, AAA Pregnacy Crisis Center activities and various aother random events. I have been shadowing a D.o for the past 3 months and will continue that thru the summer. Do you guys think that this is enough experience and volunteering or would you suggest I do something else?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. conmantlc

conmantlc Member
    7+ Year Member

That sounds like a good start. Remember, I think schools do not want someone to be too spread thin by volunteering little bits of time in a lot of different areas. I think they want someone who devotes most of their time to a specific focus or volunteer area. A good idea for a volunteer experience is to be a disaster services volunteer for the local Red Cross Branch in your town. I did that for three years and it was great. Besides my hospital work, that was the only other volunteer experience I had (actually, I coached youth soccer too), so you don't need to have all that much. You just need to show devotion to a certain area. Focus on quality not quantity. The DO shadowing is a great idea, especially because you have to get a DO letter from the majority of schools. If you worked in a hospital with DO's, you could get the shadowing,clinical experience,and exposure to osteopathic med all wrapped up in one activity. Thats what I did.

4. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

5. conmantlc

conmantlc Member
    7+ Year Member

hey, what does that "bump" thing mean anyway. I'm not down with the chatroom lingo yet.