enough volunteer work and experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuzyQ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been involved with a group called Campus Ministry at my University and I have participated in charities such as Focus Hope, Gleaners Food Bank, Pro-life functions, AAA Pregnacy Crisis Center activities and various aother random events. I have been shadowing a D.o for the past 3 months and will continue that thru the summer. Do you guys think that this is enough experience and volunteering or would you suggest I do something else?

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds like a good start. Remember, I think schools do not want someone to be too spread thin by volunteering little bits of time in a lot of different areas. I think they want someone who devotes most of their time to a specific focus or volunteer area. A good idea for a volunteer experience is to be a disaster services volunteer for the local Red Cross Branch in your town. I did that for three years and it was great. Besides my hospital work, that was the only other volunteer experience I had (actually, I coached youth soccer too), so you don't need to have all that much. You just need to show devotion to a certain area. Focus on quality not quantity. The DO shadowing is a great idea, especially because you have to get a DO letter from the majority of schools. If you worked in a hospital with DO's, you could get the shadowing,clinical experience,and exposure to osteopathic med all wrapped up in one activity. Thats what I did.

hey, what does that "bump" thing mean anyway. I'm not down with the chatroom lingo yet.