Enrollment deferral - any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nraesmith

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey y'all -

So I've been accepted to Texas tech... class starts at the end of July. I'm having a bit of a quarter life crisis/existential meltdown...

I'm thinking I need to defer my enrollment a year to enjoy life a little before I dedicate myself to medicine (which is no doubt what I want to do - I just don't know if I'm ready RIGHT now). I want to travel, have a social life, save money, etc etc. I feel like I've had blinders on my whole life just in anticipation of med school. I called the admissions office for information and they told me to email the admissions director with a detailed explanation of why I want to defer and they would advise me from there.

I don't have a "legitimate" reason to do so, at least from the aspect of a family emergency or awesome travel experience/healthcare work. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about this? I'm thinking if I'm honest and say I'm having second thoughts they will a) reject my proposal and b) have second thoughts about ME. Is this possible? Can schools revoke their acceptance offer based on a student's request for deferral?

Has anyone successfully deferred? If so, please share your experience.

Thanks so much!

They won't rescind your acceptance just for asking about a deferral. However, you will NOT get the deferral just for taking a year off to "enjoy life." You should have thought of that beforehand and waited a year to apply. Usually, the only way to get a deferral is if you have an opportunity to better yourself academically or culturally (Rhodes scholarship or Fulbright fellowship, TFA, Peace Corps, etc...).