ENT as an IMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAN627

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, I am currently an MS 3. I am a US-IMG interested in Oto. I graduated rank 1 from my medical school, won the deans award of basic sciences, was a neurosci tutor, Before Med school I had previous experience as a OB/GYN med assistant, and had a surgical observership. MY GPA is 3.99 and my step score is 229/95 :(. I actually began looking into ENT because I was interested in facial plastics. My cousin who is a radiologist suggested me to look into ENT instead of doing general surgery then a plastics fellowship. The idea sounded exciting after I looked through 85 program websites, until I looked on NRMP and saw the high step scores of matched applicants ! :(. I am very interested in ENT currently and am planning on getting involved in some research to add to my application.Do I have chances if I apply as my only choice to all 85 programs? I read on a program website that if we apply to other programs ( say general surgery) and they find out, that they think we are not committed and won't like that. however, the only reason I would is because I don't want to remain unmatched. I am female, and delaying for another year would not be feasible for me. Any advice or suggestions?

Honestly, as a IMG with a Step 1 10 points below the mean, your shot at a spot are very slim (but not impossible). You could probably match at a mid tier gen surg program, from which you have a better chance of matching into general plastics. I would at least plan for that as a backup. And if you can't give up one year for buttressing your app for ent + fprs fellowship (6 total years), clearly general plastics after surgery (8 years) is out of the question. So I'm not really sure what to tell you. :confused:

Its not the number of years , its more of not getting the ball rolling on the actual career. As for the average.. 238 was for US but according to charting outcomes 15 or so matched as indepedents with an average of 228?

Members don't see this ad :)
Its not the number of years , its more of not getting the ball rolling on the actual career. As for the average.. 238 was for US but according to charting outcomes 15 or so matched as indepedents with an average of 228?

The vast majority of those were probably foreign IMGs that toiled away in the lab for a department and earned a spot or came highly regarded from overseas.

hey everyone
now crazy as it may seem , I am just gonna dive right in and ask you ll my doubts and invite all ridiculing that may (will ) follow! :)
I am a resident in one of the top ENT programs in India , due to finish in 2015. I am interested in ( suspense...) getting to the US for further training.
Now , i know that matching into an ENT residency in US is near impossible without US clinical experience. However , I was wondering if post residency sub speciality fellowships in USA are also equally impossible, seeing as most ENT docs dont opt for it as the prospects after the residency is really bright. I know ACGME accredited fellowships are a no go , but there appear to be various non ACGME accredited , and unfunded programs out there. Also there may be research fellowship options too available . Now , my questions to all the guys out here is...
a. is it a feasible option to get into a non acgme fellowship?
b. if not , is it possible to get into a research fellowship (keep in mind I am an IMG )
c. would the fellowship count as USCE for me if I then , apply for a residency?
any help at all would be greatly appreciated , seeing as information from the net can quickly get confusing , and if someday .... you re looking to come to India :)P) I d be glad to provide you with any info I might have.
thanks