Switching into ENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yugimuto

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recently matched resident at a semi-academic institution and have been having some doubts about my current specialty over time. During my final year of medical school, I became interested in ENT after a rotation with the department but had already submitted my applications for a different specialty and decided at the time to continue with my application.

Going through my intern year, I have really recognized how much I love being in the OR and enjoy surgery and learning about taking care of patients with emergencies on the floor/ICU. I also enjoyed experiences being in an interdisciplinary team and studying head and neck anatomy. My current specialty is more procedural but doesn't have a surgical emphasis and is very hyper-specialized. I've gotten nervous about giving up a lot of general medical knowledge by continuing with the field.

I had strong scores on STEP1/2 but realize how competitive ENT is as a specialty and have no ENT-specific research and just one M4 elective in the field. Is an application to ENT out of the question given how difficult the entry is, especially as a non-trad applicant? I would appreciate any guidance or thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user