ENT personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KiranMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much emphasis does the personal statement get in the overall application? There are some examples out there, but they're not all that helpful. I'm not a great writer. One of my good friends who matched last year used an editing service - plasticsmatch.com and she said they were really good. I've looked into it and I'm probably going that direction but wanted to hear people's thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I know my program did not do a point system (specific weighting for USMLE, research, interview, grades). So, I can't really answer the question precisely, but I would think of the personal statement as if you are functioning as the note taking service for answering the interview question, "tell me about yourself." As the faculty look at your PS, they can be reminded about you, they can skim your PS and get an idea about who you are, and then choose to ask you questions about something else, or they can ask follow up questions based on the PS. Maybe some programs assign you points for the PS, but I would guess not, and if so that would be pretty rare.

I basically made an outline of qualities I thought made a great ENT and gave my personal examples on how I fit and exemplify those qualities. Had my wife help me and my mother in law look over It and give me her opinion. The more people that look over it the better, since what may sound right to you may be perceived as something totally different by the other readers..

I read all of them. Character is important. We don't have a specific weight for the personal statement, but as soon as I see a personal statement that begins to describe how you were motivated by little Jimmy and how he got through his mastoidectomy for COM like a champ and how the gifted surgeon effortlessly caressed the mastoid with the diamond drill...well, I stop.

Sent via Tapatalk.