ENT residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZML

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a US IMG and I'm interested in ENT

only 5 US IMG matched in 2018, so my question is, how?

Does anyone know new pre-requisite to even qualify for for a position? There's so few people, wish there was a way to contact these 5 individuals directly.

is there any hope?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a US IMG and I'm interested in ENT

only 5 US IMG matched in 2018, so my question is, how?

Does anyone know new pre-requisite to even qualify for for a position? There's so few people, wish there was a way to contact these 5 individuals directly.

is there any hope?

Do a bunch of research years at an ENT program and make connections that will go to bat for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have personal knowledge of 4 IMGs who completed ENT residency in the US at a total of 3 different programs. There were 2 paths that they used to get a spot.

2 of them had significant family connections with the department they matched.

The other 2 were doing surgical prelim years and got tapped to fill an unexpected PGY-2 opening in ENT.

All 4 were male. 2 were US citizens who did med school in the Caribbean and 2 were foreign born and did med school in their home countries.

3 out of 4 had exceptional personal charisma and were very well liked. The 4th was more introverted and a bit awkward but had by far the best family connection to the department where he matched.

I’m sure there are other ways that IMGs have gotten ENT positions, but the odds of success are low without some type of inside connection. And those odds probably depend more on luck and being in the right place at the right time than things you can control.

Reactions: 1 users
I have personal knowledge of 4 IMGs who completed ENT residency in the US at a total of 3 different programs. There were 2 paths that they used to get a spot.

2 of them had significant family connections with the department they matched.

The other 2 were doing surgical prelim years and got tapped to fill an unexpected PGY-2 opening in ENT.

All 4 were male. 2 were US citizens who did med school in the Caribbean and 2 were foreign born and did med school in their home countries.

3 out of 4 had exceptional personal charisma and were very well liked. The 4th was more introverted and a bit awkward but had by far the best family connection to the department where he matched.

I’m sure there are other ways that IMGs have gotten ENT positions, but the odds of success are low without some type of inside connection. And those odds probably depend more on luck and being in the right place at the right time than things you can control.

thank you for the detailed response!

Have you tried bribery, extortion, or blackmail?
bwahahaha true, there's always the cheat codes

Then you won't be doing ENT...
:(

The reason I ask is, I have hyperacusis/pulsatile tinnitus. I was really interested in being able to do research regarding these two and to contribute to the field. Maybe I'm thinking too idealistically and need to be grounded.

But I suppose I'm not esoteric enough, nor do I have the connections (or bribery, extortion, blackmail mindset)

I appreciate the feedback, Thank you.