ENT texts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kilroth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I thought I would start a discussion on the different textbooks important for an ENT resident. I'm an intern and just ordered KJ Lee's Essential Otolaryngology. Hopefully, I will get through it this year and move on to Cummings or something more in depth next year. Cummings looks like an encyclopedia!

Anyone else have different ideas? Will I cover everything with this route? Also, I have a palm for a cell phone and was wondering if there are any software programs related to ENT. I'm happy with my pocket pharm booklet.

Thanks,

kil

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a PGY-4 resident. As far as review books go, I'm a big fan of Pasha's book. I also recently paged through one of my co-resident's copy of the Lange book, which also looked pretty good (much more text and pictures than Pasha, which has an outline format). I don't have any direct experience with K.J. Lee, but I know plenty of people use it.

My program buys us Baileys for our text, so I obviously use it. I think it's pretty comprehensive. If you have to buy your own text, I'd recommend Baileys because a) it's cheaper and b) Cummings is available on MD consult for free (you can probably access this through your institution's library website).

I also have the Lore H+N surgical atlas which is good but a little dated in some parts.

One good review book, a textbook, and an atlas are probably all you need for the first 2 years of residency, after which time you can buy more books tailored to your specific interests.

Don't forget that you will also be subscribed to one or more journals and will get a home-study course packet every 3 months.

Hey everyone, I thought I would start a discussion on the different textbooks important for an ENT resident. I'm an intern and just ordered KJ Lee's Essential Otolaryngology. Hopefully, I will get through it this year and move on to Cummings or something more in depth next year. Cummings looks like an encyclopedia!

Anyone else have different ideas? Will I cover everything with this route? Also, I have a palm for a cell phone and was wondering if there are any software programs related to ENT. I'm happy with my pocket pharm booklet.

Thanks,

kil

I would also highly recommend Myers new atlas. I think that it is much better than Bailey's and Lore and Medina. In addition to being an atlas it has good background to procedures. It also has an online companion that has videos of many of the operations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello every one
I think that combination of some text book is important for learning ENT:
e.g.
1- Otolaryngology the essentials by Allen seiden) is very good text book for general Med.
2-for residents, Cummings is a basic text book such as Paparella's text book. But direction in Cummings text book more about Head& Neck and in Paparella is about Otology.
3- Another useful text book is Otolaryngology by Ballenger
4- I think the text book about Ear by Shambaugh is the basic text book and very useful.
But every one that like ENT must to learn about Surgery:
5- Lore & medina Head and Neck surgery is my preference but for more detail about Larynx and Neck surgery, I use Montgomery text book.
6- For fellowship of Otology the best text books are Tos and Ugo fisch (manuals by thieme) and so Surgery of the Ear and Temporal Bone by Nadol.
Bialy's text book and KJ Lee's Essential Otolaryngology is the best text book for quick review.
I read a lot of them and every text is pretty good....
In my country recommended text book are: the Cumming's for basic knowledge and Lore&Medina for H&N surgery.
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I found the lange book to be much easier to read than the kj lee book. Less bullet points, more complete paragraphs with more pictures and diagrams.

Also if you have a synthes rep that your dept. works with, you can get Lore and Medina for free. So I have those basics. Will probably get Baileys as a 2.

Hey guys,

I'm a medical student interested in ENT and wanted to know what book you'd recommend. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

As a med student, ENT secrets and your good ol' Netter's are the only texts you need. It's helpful to consult a surgical atlas like Meyer's or Medina the night before a case you haven't seen, but you wouldn't want to buy one at this point.

Med Student: ENT Secrets (better than Lucente's Essentials; Pasha is too much)

Intern: Pasha

PGY2: Pasha, KJ Lee/Lange

PGY3: Bailey / Cummings; Meyer

PGY4: Bailey / Cummings; Brackman; Kennedy

PGY5: Above + articles

Boards: Lange/KJ Lee

That's pretty much what I did. I think I read select things from Bluestone.

Reactions: 1 user
For what it's worth I'm almost done with my R-2 year and I currently own:

Bailey's
Lange
ENT Secrets
Endoscopic Sinus Surgery by Wormald
Pasha
Comprehensive Review of Otolaryngology (Ruckenstein)

As other's have mentioned, there will be plenty of other learning done through the Home Study Course and COCCLIA (if your program does it).

If anyone is interested, I have a new copy of Cummings Otolaryngology, 4th Edition available for sale - $300 plus shipping and handling. I can be contacted at [email protected].