Graduating this year, looking for advice about applying to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seasaltjasmine

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m looking for some advice about the next steps to take. Here’s some background information about me:
  • 4th year UCLA student (transferred from a community college)
  • 511 MCAT (128/125/128/130), 4.0 GPA (as of right now, hoping to maintain it until graduation)
  • California resident
  • Moved to the US about 5 years ago from a Southeast Asian country, not too sure if I’m considered as underrepresented in medicine (URM)
  • 4 years tutoring & leadership experience; 100+ hours virtual shadowing; did some volunteer work here and there but not a significant amount; just started volunteer at a local hospital and working as a research assistant recently.

I plan to apply next cycle (May 2022) and my goal is to get into any medical school in California. Is this a realistic goal? And could anyone give me some advice on what I should do next during this school year and my gap year to improve my chance of getting accepted (any other activities/jobs in the medical field you’d recommend)? I feel like I’m mainly missing clinical experiences and research but still unsure about how to fill those gaps.

Thank you all!! :)

Members don't see this ad.