entering vet school with no money

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ohtheplaces

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
i'm almost done with my prereqs for vet school, got my bachelor's years ago and am a returning student at 26. only worked as a lifeguard, swim instructor, music teacher since then and didn't save up much since i spent it on my first bachelor's which i got with no loans and no debt at the end. i have about 30,000 saved up. my concern is that i am already 26 and i feel like i will be paying off debt until retirement. do people enter vet school and take out loans for the whole amount or does any reasonable person always apply with at least some amount ready to put towards the cost. sorry for the lack of capitalization. the shift key on my keyboard is broken. appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I pretty much use loans for everything. I have two part time jobs that total to 10-20 hours a week, so I use that money to cover gas and funsies stuff.

That's pretty close to 80% of Veterinary students.

A lot of people I know went to vet school right after undergrad and had MUCH less than 30,000 saved up. Most rely on loans for everything

Members don't see this ad :)
30k in savings is extremely impressive - congrats! Most students entering have little in savings (other than emergency funds) and rely primarily on loans.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think I'd ever seen $5,000 in one place when I applied for vet school. Let alone $30,000.

Reactions: 2 users
I had ~$7000 saved up and was pretty impressed with that. $30k is a great cushion to rely on. Remember to save a chunk of it for emergencies (pet, car, whatever). Depending on your COL and living situation, you very well could pay four years of rent with that though, even after dedicating some for emergency use only.

Hahahahhahaah.... I sold my car to be able to afford the deposit and first month of rent on my flat that I spent a week looking for when I first landed in Scotland. That is the only money that I had when I arrived in Scotland. I had to use a credit card to afford food and a bus pass to get around. Loan money didn't disburse for a month after I arrived there. It was a bit scary for the first week/month. I arrived into a country that I had never been to, did not know and did not know anyone. I had one week to find a place to live and found a place on the very last day. Then I had a month with literally $0 in my bank account until the student loans disbursed.

So having $30k saved up prior to school is very good.

Reactions: 1 user