Entrepreneurship in pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dent001

BAMF
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not a pharmacist, but a dentist a few years out of school. My very good friend who I've known 15+ years is a retail pharmacist. These past few years my income has skyrocketed compared to his mostly because I have my own practice. I would like to help him find a way to make more money in pharmacy outside of retail and hospital. So what is out there?
What are some ways you can use your pharmaceutical skills to build a business outside of having your own pharmacy?
Is it possible to work for a pharmaceutical company to make more money and work up the corporate ladder?
Would love to hear the possibilities so I can share with my friend and motivate him to make a change and get some real money

Members don't see this ad.

Real money?The guy or gal is probably pulling in about 120K a year.
I can relate to bad conditions in retail but to bitch about a job that you are pulling in over 6 figures see how much sympathy you get from the the guy behind the convenience store counter who would bitch about the same things we do..Techs can bitch though.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
obviously wealth is relative, but tbh $120k is middle class at best these days. Real money is when even after your cost of living expenses you're left with 6 figures to save/invest into something big. This isn't gonna be obtained as a w2 employee but most likely as a business owner. besides, who cares what the convenience store clerk says?

either way, this thread is for how a pharmacist's skillset can be used outside a retail/hospital setting in an entrepreneurial effort.

back to the topic
have you heard of anyone using their compounding skills to set up their own shop to create compounds for the unregulated supplement market? it's huge online. I have a friend who is in this type of business and they are always looking for people to compound and manufacture pills at a high volume level. There is a market for this kind of thing and I am curious if someone with a pharmacy background can tap into it while upholding compliance standards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude go pull a tooth or something

Has your friend been a retail pharmacist for 15+ years? If so he should have a net worth of like 2 million by now. If he didn't save and invest his money during that time then don't expect him to make "real money" now.

Some people just want to be drones. Also being in retail 15+ years doesn't lend itself well to transition to pharma.

You have to realize a lot of people chose pharmacy because it is a “safe” choice. In another word...they are not risk taker. Being an entrepreneur requires a lot of calculated risk taking.