Envision loses John Muir WC CA contract

Started by tdub878
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Read online regarding John Muir that: "Vituity has had the site after Envision left. The flip from initial lucrative offers to keep staff onboard to now below market for all their re-signings is beginning." Can anyone confirm or refute? Is this how Vituity operates?
That's how every employer of docs operate. Get somebody to sign, invest in the job, get to know the system, establish your rep, Buy a house, get a spouse...With luck there's a noncompete too. duh.
 
Good points all but anyone with actual knowledge of the specific situation there able to chime in?
Here is a quick take. Call them. I don’t know why people depend on the internet.

I’m interested in a new gig close to my house. I call the front desk and ask for anesthesiologist. It’s that easy. I tell them my name is so so. Do you have any job openings. I don’t depend on gaswork or stuff.

I made a cold call to surgery center 40 min away. They told me to come take a look. 1099. And guess what. I got in.

Are people this fearful to pickup the phone and call and talk to someone?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is a quick take. Call them. I don’t know why people depend on the internet.

I’m interested in a new gig close to my house. I call the front desk and ask for anesthesiologist. It’s that easy. I tell them my name is so so. Do you have any job openings. I don’t depend on gaswork or stuff.

I made a cold call to surgery center 40 min away. They told me to come take a look. 1099. And guess what. I got in.

Are people this fearful to pickup the phone and call and talk to someone?
There are so many gatekeepers nowadays that this doesnt work usually.

People dont walk into stores anymore and say. "are you hiring?" like the olden days. That is boomer stuff. Now there are corporate entities, they have to vet your a** completely before they will even think about giving you looks. I think backchannel research, like here, is invaluable part of Job research.
 
There are so many gatekeepers nowadays that this doesnt work usually.

People dont walk into stores anymore and say. "are you hiring?" like the olden days. That is boomer stuff. Now there are corporate entities, they have to vet your a** completely before they will even think about giving you looks. I think backchannel research, like here, is invaluable part of Job research.
Doesn’t usually work… doesn’t mean it will never work.

Take a chance.

Anyways it’s better just contact the site directly. The information is available. Unless op is uncomfortable. I’m always talking to people.

It’s not boomer stuff. It’s common sense. How to get a job.
 
Doesn’t usually work… doesn’t mean it will never work.

Take a chance.

Anyways it’s better just contact the site directly. The information is available. Unless op is uncomfortable. I’m always talking to people.

It’s not boomer stuff. It’s common sense. How to get a job.
I definitely see where you’re coming from with this suggestion because what’s the worst that will happen? They just say “no”. I would suggest if someone takes this method to have some references ready. Having someone to speak up for you will certainly help if you’re just the stranger cold calling people
 
Read online regarding John Muir that: "Vituity has had the site after Envision left. The flip from initial lucrative offers to keep staff onboard to now below market for all their re-signings is beginning." Can anyone confirm or refute? Is this how Vituity operates?
I would disagree with this. I know several in the group. I'm not sure what "initial lucrative offers" is referring to. For folks who were in MAC/Envision, the only "offer" they got to stay on was full partnership from day 1, which, frankly, is probably deserved and also what commonly happens after a change like that. New hires received a signing bonus but not the folks who were already there. And, based on what I have seen, the compensation is not only competitive for the market, but above most if not all other groups in the area. And when it comes to the bay area, one must also consider that the cost of housing is significantly higher in certain parts of the region (eg: south bay, peninsula, sf, etc) than the east bay.
 
I would disagree with this. I know several in the group. I'm not sure what "initial lucrative offers" is referring to. For folks who were in MAC/Envision, the only "offer" they got to stay on was full partnership from day 1, which, frankly, is probably deserved and also what commonly happens after a change like that. New hires received a signing bonus but not the folks who were already there. And, based on what I have seen, the compensation is not only competitive for the market, but above most if not all other groups in the area. And when it comes to the bay area, one must also consider that the cost of housing is significantly higher in certain parts of the region (eg: south bay, peninsula, sf, etc) than the east bay.
I don’t think as a partner u can opt out of their healthcare premiums which can be very costly. Even if ur spouse has cheaper healthcare available from a bigger or state or federal govt employer.
 
I don't think that is a significant factor, especially when considered relative to total comp. Again, I am not aware of a group in that area with better compensation. Also, they are K-1, not W2, and can set themselves up as s-corps which comes with significant tax advantages in CA. An often overlooked benefit.
 
If a job has been advertised for a while , something is amiss with the job. Low starting salary/income for new employees.

In this market anything more than 1 year to parity is pretty much unacceptable to many new potential employees. So saying it’s the best paying gig has to be with an asterisk with time to parity to be factor in

Most california physicians are self employed or tax structured as s corp or even PC structures taxed as s s corp. obviously if they work for Kaiser etc they are w2.
 
Generalizations like that don't always hold true. For example, large groups covering multiple facilities requiring >50-100+ docs are typically always recruiting and hiring/looking for docs. In the bay area, there are currently anesthesia shortages everywhere, even in small groups. Also, the starting income at this vituity site is not low. The compensation correlates closely with how much you work, whether you are just starting out or a full partner.
 
Generalizations like that don't always hold true. For example, large groups covering multiple facilities requiring >50-100+ docs are typically always recruiting and hiring/looking for docs. In the bay area, there are currently anesthesia shortages everywhere, even in small groups. Also, the starting income at this vituity site is not low. The compensation correlates closely with how much you work, whether you are just starting out or a full partner.
Are they making 700k for 40 hrs inclusive of call (beeper or in house) with 10 weeks off? That is the de facto standard these ares what is considered a good job.

Hca was paying close to 825k for around 17 weeks of work for cardiac docs in the Bay Area (California) (35 weeks off) And yes that’s a confirmed number before their medical director got forced out.

If the op asking about the job is not geographically tied to that area. And just finishing around. There are other options available.
 
Hca was paying close to 825k for around 17 weeks of work for cardiac docs in the Bay Area (California) (35 weeks off) And yes that’s a confirmed number before their medical director got forced out.

$50k/week? In an area with 2-3 fellowship programs pumping out new graduates every summer?

Is that at Good Sam? G2?
 
Last edited:
Are they making 700k for 40 hrs inclusive of call (beeper or in house) with 10 weeks off? That is the de facto standard these ares what is considered a good job.

Hca was paying close to 825k for around 17 weeks of work for cardiac docs in the Bay Area (California) (35 weeks off) And yes that’s a confirmed number before their medical director got forced out.

If the op asking about the job is not geographically tied to that area. And just finishing around. There are other options available.
I do know numbers but I'm not gonna share what other docs I know make on a public forum. I'm pretty sure I recall an actual doc(s) in the group posting some info in other threads in the past.

But if you are interested in getting answers to your question... Here is a quick take. Call them. I don’t know why people depend on the internet.

Call the front desk and ask for anesthesiologist. It’s that easy. Tell them your name is so so. Don't depend on gaswork or stuff.

Are people this fearful to pickup the phone and call and talk to someone?

Take a chance.

Anyways it’s better just contact the site directly. The information is available. Unless you are uncomfortable. I'm always talking to people.

It’s not boomer stuff. It’s common sense.


(I will add I think it's pretty funny someone thinks there is a "de facto standard" on what is considered a "good job" that applies across every city/county/state across the entire continental United States.)
 
I don’t think as a partner u can opt out of their healthcare premiums which can be very costly. Even if ur spouse has cheaper healthcare available from a bigger or state or federal govt employer.


If your spouse’s insurance covers whole family, you can opt to get coverage only for yourself. In our group that runs about 1000/month paid with pretax dollars for a high deductible PPO with a huge network and superb coverage. Is that “very costly”?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If your spouse’s insurance covers whole family, you can opt to get coverage only for yourself. In our group that runs about 1000/month paid with pretax dollars for a high deductible PPO with a huge network and superb coverage. Is that “very costly”?
The Opt out for a vituity partner is around $1800 a month for a family due to risk pooling

It’s very costly to opt out. Unless something has changed in the last 3 years.
 
any updates on this job by vituity? how is it? are people happy here?
Another hot take. Does it hurt people so much they can’t apply online or call??


Do people know how to get jobs these days? Seriously??

Call them. It’s easy as one two three as well.

Clearly people like the location.
 
I do know numbers but I'm not gonna share what other docs I know make on a public forum. I'm pretty sure I recall an actual doc(s) in the group posting some info in other threads in the past.

But if you are interested in getting answers to your question... Here is a quick take. Call them. I don’t know why people depend on the internet.

Call the front desk and ask for anesthesiologist. It’s that easy. Tell them your name is so so. Don't depend on gaswork or stuff.

Are people this fearful to pickup the phone and call and talk to someone?

Take a chance.

Anyways it’s better just contact the site directly. The information is available. Unless you are uncomfortable. I'm always talking to people.

It’s not boomer stuff. It’s common sense.


(I will add I think it's pretty funny someone thinks there is a "de facto standard" on what is considered a "good job" that applies across every city/county/state across the entire continental United States.)
I called them. They told me to look at the ad on Gaswork.
 
Here is a quick take. Call them. I don’t know why people depend on the internet.

I’m interested in a new gig close to my house. I call the front desk and ask for anesthesiologist. It’s that easy. I tell them my name is so so. Do you have any job openings. I don’t depend on gaswork or stuff.

I made a cold call to surgery center 40 min away. They told me to come take a look. 1099. And guess what. I got in.

Are people this fearful to pickup the phone and call and talk to someone?
This may work in smaller towns and less competitive areas. You are not calling the front desk at John Muir and asking for an anesthesiologist lol. Could barely get their useless recruiter on the phone
 
I don't think that is a significant factor, especially when considered relative to total comp. Again, I am not aware of a group in that area with better compensation. Also, they are K-1, not W2, and can set themselves up as s-corps which comes with significant tax advantages in CA. An often overlooked benefit.

Their structure is a HUGE benefit. Boots on the ground reports are saying they are busier and being worked more with hospital admin asking for more along with bs QI and administrative tasks. I'm not privvy to the numbers for new contract, too awkward of a discussion unless I was interviewing there.
 
Doesn’t usually work… doesn’t mean it will never work.

Take a chance.

Anyways it’s better just contact the site directly. The information is available. Unless op is uncomfortable. I’m always talking to people.

It’s not boomer stuff. It’s common sense. How to get a job.
Again. It doesnt work. Why? Because the ones who you talk to are not the ones making any decisions. They are stooges. Decisions are made for them. They cant even make any decision at home either without checking with their wives. I'm just telling it like it is, like it or not.

Back when we had a n*T sack, maybe that tactic could work. Hey Aneftp, thanks for coming around you seem like a good guy with initiative when can you start. CMON DUDE. The tail wags the dog now.
 
Another hot take. Does it hurt people so much they can’t apply online or call??


Do people know how to get jobs these days? Seriously??

Call them. It’s easy as one two three as well.

Clearly people like the location.
Calling is not so easy. They dont want you to call. Why? They dont know who they are talking to. They need to know your info and backround info up front before talking to you. PLus the bureaucracy is so thick that the ones you are talking to are not the ones making any decision. You are 3-4 people away from the decision maker.
It's awful I know. But you have to play the game and understand the game better than they do.
 
I called them. They told me to look at the ad on Gaswork.
exactamundo. That'w what im talking about. You put great faith in people you talk to. I generally presume that most everyone I talk to is just phoning it in unless proven otherwise. Usually I am correct in my supposition.
 
Calling is not so easy. They dont want you to call. Why? They dont know who they are talking to. They need to know your info and backround info up front before talking to you. PLus the bureaucracy is so thick that the ones you are talking to are not the ones making any decision. You are 3-4 people away from the decision maker.
It's awful I know. But you have to play the game and understand the game better than they do.

Is the vituity system any worse than the VA/feds? Or even Kaiser? (I’ve only had contact with Kaiser Southern California) and been with the Feds.

Both cumbersome lots of red tape. But I wouldn’t call them impossible to deal with.

I’m just thinking people don’t know how to navigate any system here.
 
Have people actually put in their application for this job? Seems straight forward to me. Hit the apply button.

I can’t imagine after all the tests and schooling and applications for college med school and residency people cans figure out how to press a buttons has answer the questions and send in the required forms.
 
I’m a site chief. Have been on our board. Interview and host recruits. Help with comp plans.

If someone cold called my hospital my boardrunner would take their name and info and give it to me or ask me if I wanted to talk to them. It ABSOLUTELY is an avenue to a decision maker.

Some of you guys don’t realize how simple a lot of this is. I’m going to assume you’ve only worked for large companies or are just fresh out.

Will it always work? Prob not. Can it work? Absolutely. It’s a small, small world in this field.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Another hot take. Does it hurt people so much they can’t apply online or call??


Do people know how to get jobs these days? Seriously??

Call them. It’s easy as one two three as well.

Clearly people like the location.

Applying through that link gets you their useless recruiter who didn't know that procedural anesthesia is different from chronic pain management. So he asked me what my patient panel was, how many days a week I'd like to have clinic etc. Had to tell him we work in the OR and do surgical cases. He proceeded to read off the rest of their ad for me. Completely useless 30 min call. This, after a 3 week wait to schedule a call since he couldn't manage his calendar. Eric Shiffman, "senior" medical recruiter at Vituity.
 
Applying through that link gets you their useless recruiter who didn't know that procedural anesthesia is different from chronic pain management. So he asked me what my patient panel was, how many days a week I'd like to have clinic etc. Had to tell him we work in the OR and do surgical cases. He proceeded to read off the rest of their ad for me. Completely useless 30 min call. This, after a 3 week wait to schedule a call since he couldn't manage his calendar. Eric Shiffman, "senior" medical recruiter at Vituity.
So it’s basically like Kaiser was for me years ago ….i aborted ha ha.

If they (the recruiters) are that useless I’d give the guys a call directly.

I had to do that at a university job after applying through its portal cause no one got back to me.

But if it’s too painful to do it just abort. There are other jobs. Not the end of the world.

And the productively model (which I’m assuming cep model is still roughly based) is pretty dead in this area of anesthesia. It’s how many hours you can bill on the clock plus call stipends
 
So it’s basically like Kaiser was for me years ago ….i aborted ha ha.

If they (the recruiters) are that useless I’d give the guys a call directly.

I had to do that at a university job after applying through its portal cause no one got back to me.

But if it’s too painful to do it just abort. There are other jobs. Not the end of the world.

And the productively model (which I’m assuming cep model is still roughly based) is pretty dead in this area of anesthesia. It’s how many hours you can bill on the clock plus call stipends
Yeah Kaiser recruiters are quite lazy and brain dead. That said, if you know at least 1 other affiliated anesthesiologist (could even be a non-Kaiser anesthesiologist who is friends with a Kaiser anesthesiologist who hasn’t made partner yet) who can vouch for you, that referral can easily work its way directly up the chain to the chief of the department and they will consider you
 
Yeah Kaiser recruiters are quite lazy and brain dead. That said, if you know at least 1 other affiliated anesthesiologist (could even be a non-Kaiser anesthesiologist who is friends with a Kaiser anesthesiologist who hasn’t made partner yet) who can vouch for you, that referral can easily work its way directly up the chain to the chief of the department and they will consider you


This is also true for any other practice.
 
Yeah Kaiser recruiters are quite lazy and brain dead. That said, if you know at least 1 other affiliated anesthesiologist (could even be a non-Kaiser anesthesiologist who is friends with a Kaiser anesthesiologist who hasn’t made partner yet) who can vouch for you, that referral can easily work its way directly up the chain to the chief of the department and they will consider you
As a counterpoint, I had no problem getting signed on as a per diem anesthesiologist at a local Kaiser. Granted, I knew most of the physicians in the practice. They happen to have a very adept and capable administrative manager, which probably makes all the difference.
 
Applying through that link gets you their useless recruiter who didn't know that procedural anesthesia is different from chronic pain management. So he asked me what my patient panel was, how many days a week I'd like to have clinic etc. Had to tell him we work in the OR and do surgical cases. He proceeded to read off the rest of their ad for me. Completely useless 30 min call. This, after a 3 week wait to schedule a call since he couldn't manage his calendar. Eric Shiffman, "senior" medical recruiter at Vituity.
That recruiter isn't that great. you can call the John Muir Operating room front desk and ask to be connected to the medical director or the chairman of the anesthesia department
 
That's how every employer of docs operate. Get somebody to sign, invest in the job, get to know the system, establish your rep, Buy a house, get a spouse...With luck there's a noncompete too. duh.
I can speak of exactly what happened. Essentially, our pay went up around 40% and has stayed that way. yearly bonuses based on overall productivity of the group. Able to be a 1099 or S corporation which as many of you know is much better than W2. There is no noncompete and some of the partners work part time at some of the local surgery center. I can give the contact info of the anesthesiologist in charge of recruiting if anyone wants it
 
I can speak of exactly what happened. Essentially, our pay went up around 40% and has stayed that way. yearly bonuses based on overall productivity of the group. Able to be a 1099 or S corporation which as many of you know is much better than W2. There is no noncompete and some of the partners work part time at some of the local surgery center. I can give the contact info of the anesthesiologist in charge of recruiting if anyone wants it
Sweet! There's another partner on the forum.

I've posted numbers on the private forum before, and won't do that here.
I work at John Muir Walnut Creek.
I make way more money than I need, even in a very high cost of living area. We get an annual profit share from vituity based on partnership level.
You can work as much or as little as you want.
The surgeons are fine, most are fun to work with, or at least they're not malignant.
The OR staff are a delight to work with.
The anesthesia techs are superb.
The hours can be longer than at a surgery center, but I prefer hospitals. Our call shifts are highly subsidized, so you can always give them to another partner if that's your thing.
I can only imagine that there's a bunch of ads on gaswork because we're a big group so there's always a baseline level of turnover.
I love the job. Vituity is a rather benign corporate overlord. And it isn't PE backed, so the profits end up back in our pockets.
 
Sweet! There's another partner on the forum.

I've posted numbers on the private forum before, and won't do that here.
I work at John Muir Walnut Creek.
I make way more money than I need, even in a very high cost of living area. We get an annual profit share from vituity based on partnership level.
You can work as much or as little as you want.
The surgeons are fine, most are fun to work with, or at least they're not malignant.
The OR staff are a delight to work with.
The anesthesia techs are superb.
The hours can be longer than at a surgery center, but I prefer hospitals. Our call shifts are highly subsidized, so you can always give them to another partner if that's your thing.
I can only imagine that there's a bunch of ads on gaswork because we're a big group so there's always a baseline level of turnover.
I love the job. Vituity is a rather benign corporate overlord. And it isn't PE backed, so the profits end up back in our pockets.
1 million /40 hr inclusive of all hours on call and all hours on beeper and 42 weeks of work is what I term working way more than than I need.

Perspective shifts depending what you consider is fair pay.