epidemiology

Started by adamada
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

adamada

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have a good definition for "Big E Epidemiology?" Its not in any textbooks or even google-able.

I never heard the expression "little e epidemiology," is that ever used?
 
😕 😕 i really don't understand the question as you have stated it but ...

the definition, as i learned it, of epidemiology (whether you use a big E or little e) is the study of the effects of a condition/illness/disease on a population.
 
adamada said:
Does anyone have a good definition for "Big E Epidemiology?" Its not in any textbooks or even google-able.

I never heard the expression "little e epidemiology," is that ever used?

I only had one professor who used that phrasing, but as a remember it;
Big E - population based, public health type epidemiology
Little e - medical epidemiology, the natural course of a specific disease in a given individual.

- H
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for the reply.

Does this mean that a randomized trial is Big E or little e? Is the field of "Health Services Research" considered Big E or little e? Sorry, I'm a bit confused on the definitions above....



FoughtFyr said:
I only had one professor who used that phrasing, but as a remember it;
Big E - population based, public health type epidemiology
Little e - medical epidemiology, the natural course of a specific disease in a given individual.

- H
 
adamada said:
Thank you for the reply.

Does this mean that a randomized trial is Big E or little e? Is the field of "Health Services Research" considered Big E or little e? Sorry, I'm a bit confused on the definitions above....

Generally health services research would be "Big E" by those who use the term. But, I have only known one professor who did (use the terms).

- H
 
Hmmm... if health services research is an example of Big E rather than little e epidemiology, can you give any examples of common study designs for the "medical epidemiology" that make up "little e epidemiology"? So far I understand that Big E includes classic cohort studies, case controls, ecological studies, and health services research (and possibly randomized trials??). Its little e I'm unclear on.

Thank you for your help!


FoughtFyr said:
Generally health services research would be "Big E" by those who use the term. But, I have only known one professor who did (use the terms).

- H