Epidural for cosmetic surgery

Started by deleted87051
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted87051

My question is why? Cheaper than GA?

Much of the developing world does stuff under spinal that we'd never consider doing because the total cost is a couple dollars or less for the local and a needle.

I can't imagine why they'd go for the extra supply expense of an epidural though ... thoracic epidurals for stuff too high for spinals, like breast augmentations? I've seen crazier **** abroad.
 
Yes. In Brazil, everything that can be done under spinal will be done under spinal. That includes open cholescystectomies, and breast augmentations. Reasons are cost, and I'm not just talking about cost of medications. Many surgical facilities have horrible, barely working anesthesia machines (these machines are only for show) which are rarely used, only when needed. I've seen some breast augmentations under spinal and I hated it. I avoid working in places like this.