Epiphysis vs Metaphysis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elysian12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like both increase the length of long bones.

Question in the ADA Practice 2009 Test states, "Growth (increased length) of long bones originates in what region?"
I put metaphysis and it is wrong so I am assuming the answer is epiphysis.

Bootcamp Bio test 3 states, "The metaphysis is the wider portion of a long bone situated near the epiphysis, this is where the majority of growth happens during puberty."

Is growth vs increased length different? I am assuming that is why ADA put "increased length" in parentheses.

So...
Metaphysis: growth during puberty
and
Epiphysis: increased length of long bone
??

Help please these questions seem to keep popping up and I would hate to miss this question if it shows up on my test.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
epiphysial plate sits between metaphysis and epiphesis
/
What I am trying to get at is if I get a question saying "Where do long bones growth in length?" and two of the options are metaphysis and epiphysis, which should I go with?

I would go with epiphysis. Guess we'll see what others say about it. I just think of growth plates for this

Look at the Q-stem, it states "Growth of long bones ORIGINATES in what region?"

Thus proliferating cartilage near the epiphysis at the epiphyseal plate is the starting site of long bone growth.

The metaphysis is the medial region between the epiphyseal plate and the diaphysis. This region is highly vascularized and active bone formation region. The bone formation that occurs here is due to the proliferation of cartilage that STARTS at the epiphysis.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user