EPPP and GRE PSYCH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TCT2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Could a student use the same study guide for each of these tests? If not, what's the major difference between the two?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They are entirely different tests. The GRE looks at verbal, math, and writing, unless you're talking about the subject test. The EPPP is very detailed and specific. It includes WAY too much information that you need to have some foundational knowledge for. It would be a terrible way to study for the psychology GRE. It would be like if you were preparing to take 4th grade EOG tests and to study for the math, you decided to study trigonometry, but your understanding of math was at a generally 4th-5th grade level.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. Thanks. So what's on the EPPP that's not on the GRE Psych Subset test? The GRE psych subset supposedly tests on
  1. Biological
  2. Cognitive
  3. Social
  4. Developmental
  5. Clinical
  6. Measurement/Methodology/Other
Those topics aren't covered on the EPPP?

Ok. Thanks. So what's on the EPPP that's not on the GRE Psych Subset test? The GRE psych subset supposedly tests on
  1. Biological
  2. Cognitive
  3. Social
  4. Developmental
  5. Clinical
  6. Measurement/Methodology/Other
Those topics aren't covered on the EPPP?
Its not that those domain areas aren't covered on the EPPP. It's just a different test. It's like asking 'why is my college math test different than my middle school math test'. Yes, its both math but no- its not the same level of material. If it was, no one would need a doctorate.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m late, but one thing I want to add is that one of the things that makes the EPPP difficult is the way the questions are worded. The questions themselves aren’t always straightforward, and then the answer choices are often very similar, requiring you to make very fine discriminations. So, one of the best ways to prepare for it is by taking practice tests. Studying for the GRE, even doing practice tests, won’t give you the practice and experience you need.
More on content—as others have said, the GRE is for ppl who are entering grad school, the EPPP is for ppl who have doctoral degrees, and already have clinical and graduate experience. So the content of the exams is very different. Ppl have already talked some about this, but the EPPP requires you to know about things that you have or will encounter in your practice (psychopharm, ethics, different treatment modalities, diagnosis).

So. I beg of you. Please don’t rely on GRE study materials for the EPPP. No point in you having to retake it, and paying the test developers more of your hard earned money, which they didn’t deserve in the first place. Good luck!