EPPP Timing Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLRN

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Some quick questions about the EPPP that I am having trouble finding an answer to.

(1) Is it best to be done (or close to done) studying prior to submitting application for licensure to sit for the EPPP?

(2) Does one have to finish their internship in order to be able to apply for licensure (I'm in Massachusetts, post-doc not required though I will be completing one anyways)?

(3) Does your approval to take the EPPP expire after a certain number of days (I've read 60 days according to a non-official source)?

Thanks to anyone who might have some more information about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Let's see if I can help at all:

1) You should have some flexibility in terms of when you schedule the exam, within whatever validity window your state board dictates. So I wouldn't say you need to be done with studying before applying to sit for the exam (unless you're going to be scheduling it for, say, tomorrow), but you should probably have started studying.

2) It depends entirely on your state. Some will let you start the process of applying while still on internship and others will not. My computer is balking at letting me review the Mass. site, but cursory review makes it sound like you may need to have completed internship before applying. Best bet is to contact them directly, though.

3) Depends on the state. ASPPB used to require that you schedule the exam within 90 days of paying your fee, but that's no longer the case.

Reactions: 1 users
I will add that you can also register in a state that you don't live in. For example, I wanted to take my EPPP before doing my postdoc, which you couldn't do in the state I currently live in. I didn't know what state I was going to be a psychologist in, but I figured out that Michigan lets you register before doing a postdoc and the application there is easy to do. So while I do not, and have no plans of working in Michigan, I am currently on a temporary license there and am taking the EPPP next week in my home state.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I will add that you can also register in a state that you don't live in. For example, I wanted to take my EPPP before doing my postdoc, which you couldn't do in the state I currently live in. I didn't know what state I was going to be a psychologist in, but I figured out that Michigan lets you register before doing a postdoc and the application there is easy to do. So while I do not, and have no plans of working in Michigan, I am currently on a temporary license there and am taking the EPPP next week in my home state.
A very good point. It's probably going to cost you more money (i.e., having to pay to start the licensure process), but especially if you're in a hurry to get licensed, it's definitely an option.

Reactions: 1 user
I echo what Mojito said! I have several friends that apply through Ohio because they only require proof of doctoral level degree + completed application and fee to schedule exam, which you can schedule to take in any state!

Reactions: 1 user