EPS in Cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HEME-ONC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the route specializing in Electrophysiology studies? What is the lifestyle like and the pay. Does an IMG have a chance at getting into this field?

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell you the route, but that is the entirety of my knowledge.

3 yrs IM residency
3 yrs Cardiology fellowship
1 yr electrophysiology fellowship

Many places are making EP a two year gig. Total of 8 years post med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heme-Onc,

I did research as a first year in the Cariac EP division, so take what I say for what it is, the experiences gleaned from two summer months as a first year medical student. The EP fellows whom I did research with worked long hours (came in btw 6 - 6:30, finished anywhere from 4 - 8 pm) but the work was extremely interesting and rewarding (EP studies, AICD/Pacemaker implantation, clinic - which largely consisted of checking out the cool toys you put in). As far as I understood, getting an EP fellowship after cardiology was not very difficult (the hard part was getting the cards fellowship in the first place). At my hospital, the EP fellowship is 1.5 years. Most of the fellows I worked with were foreign grads, although they were some of the best I have ever interacted with. The pay is excellent, even from a cardiology perspective - lots and lots of billable procedures (even the reprogramming of a pacemaker, which can take 5 minutes, pays!). But it is extremely challenging and requires alot of dedication. It's definitely NOT a lifestyle field. After my two months there, I think I pretty much realized I wanted more time with my friends and family, but if u have the stamina, go for it. Also, if u have a research bent, there is ALOT going on in the field.

Hi Filter,

I am a looking for FMG Freindly cardiology fellowship program.

I opened another thread on this. I would appreciate if you can reply.